To promote healthier local, national and international populations through alcohol-related research and innovation.
To create a centre that will be internationally recognised for its work in alcohol-related research and education, a centre that will attract the best people to Liverpool, and a centre that will impact on treatments, research direction and policy in the UK and internationally.
- Harness the skills of current researchers and drive future recruitment to ensure a critical mass across disciplines to develop unique ideas and impactful outcomes
- Facilitate collaboration and access to resources
- Embed patient & public involvement in the Centre’s activities and create strong dissemination pipelines to ensure scale and reach
- Increase income into the Liverpool City Region for the delivery of alcohol-related research and education
- Promote capacity and capability through studentships, education programmes, clinical training, and standardised, certified competency frameworks to develop the next generation of research leaders
- Encourage blue-sky thinking and horizon scanning to keep the Centre at the forefront of alcohol-related research and innovation.
Alcohol research is not a new proposition, it is the underlying strategy that is unique. Through partnership-led, translation-focused working, we hope to make advances in an area that is lacking interventions that have significant scale and reach. The increasing affordability, availability and acceptability of alcohol since the 1980s has resulted in a rising number of negative consequences that is placing a strain on the NHS, other treatment provisions, families and society in general. The recent advances made in data handling and laboratory analytics means that science is entering a new age of collaborative working that has the promise of furthering many fields. Asking the right questions and ensuring the correct skill-mix is vital to realising this potential.
Professor Sir Ian Gilmore
Director of Liverpool Centre for Alcohol Research
Strategic Projects Manager
Liverpool Health Partners