I am a Lecturer of the Master of Public Health (online and on campus programmes) based at the University of Liverpool.
I am passionate about public health and reducing health inequalities. My main research interest include participatory research and visual methods; public engagement; application of complex systems approach in the development and evaluation of public health interventions; ageing; and household air pollution. My PhD was focused on the evaluation of population-wide interventions to influence the environmental determinants of health (the WHO Age-Friendly Cities initiative in Liverpool and UK cities). During this evaluation, I developed my research interest in strategies to improve environmental determinants of health, and I applied innovative qualitative methods (photovoice) to engage with older people and city stakeholders in exploring respect and social inclusion in the urban context. I also conducted a systematic review looking at the effectiveness and pathways to health impact of initiatives on social inclusion in older people. This work and the expertise that I have developed has led to further research on applying photovoice methods in low-middle income countries. I led a photovoice study investigating barriers and solutions to adoption and use of bottled gas for cooking to improve the health of women and children living in Cameroon (as a part of the LPG Adoption in Cameroon Evaluation Studies). My commitment to continued professional development regarding under- and post-graduate teaching was recognised with the award of Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Association status (2018).
- ESRC Festival of Social Science (£900) (Economic and Social Research Council 2018)
- Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (The Higher Education Academy 2018)
- Early Career Researcher Fund (£2,000) (University of Liverpool 2018)
- NCRM Bursary for Training (Creative Approaches to Qualitative Researching) (National Centre for Research Methods 2017)
- Winner Best Paper in Heart 2016 Award (Heart BMJ 2017)
- Conference and Travel bursary - British Society of Gerontology conference (British Society of Gerontology 2017)
- Chair of the Early Career Researchers (ECR) Subcommittee (Society for Social Medicine 2016)
- Most commended for the University Staff Award 'Outstanding Contribution to Public Engagement' (University of Liverpool 2016)
- Using photo-voice methods to engage older people and city stakeholders in exploring respect and social inclusion in the city of Liverpool, UK (Invitation to Speak, NIHR SPHR Researchers Event, Newcastle University 2016)
- Photographic exhibition event, the Museum of Liverpool ‘What is important to me as an older person?’ Exploring older people’s perceptions of respect and social inclusion in Liverpool City (71 attendees) (University of Liverpool 2015)
- Chair-elect of the Early Career Researchers (ECR) Subcommittee (Society for Social Medicine 2015)
- Best poster prize winner (session A) - Society for Social Medicine conference (Prize, Society for Social Medicine 2015)
- Conference and Travel Bursary - ASM Society of Social Medicine (Society of Social Medicine 2015)
- Best conference presentation - PGR conference, Liverpool (Prize, University of Liverpool 2014)