As Professor of Primary Medical Care I have a broad academic and clinical perspective.
In addition to my university work I am a general practitioner with Aintree Park Group Practice, an honorary consultant in primary care for Liverpool Primary Care Trust, and a non-executive director for Mersey Care NHS Trust.
I am a member of the NICE guideline development group for depression and chronic physical disease.
I am editor-in-chief of an international journal, Chronic Illness.
My book 'Beyond Depression: a new approach to understanding and management' was published by Oxford University Press in September 2004.
- Embodied Suffering (Keynote Speech, University of Melbourne 2009)
- 63. Mental health in primary care: challenges and opportunities (Keynote Speech, WONCA Asia-Pacific 2009)
- Senior Investigator Award (National Institute for Health Research 2008)
- 60. Assessment of chronic fatigue: general practitioners’ approach (Invitation to Speak, Royal Society of Medicine 2008)
- Prospects for the classification of mental disorders for use in primary and general health care (Invitation to Speak, Association of European Psychiatrists 2007)
- Presentation of symptoms in primary care (Keynote Speech, Society for Social Medicine & Society for Academic Primary Care 2007)
- Implementing chronic disease management in primary care (Invitation to Speak, Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute, Canberra, Australia. 2006)
- Doctors, patients: whose symptoms are they anyhow (Invitation to Speak, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh., 2006)
- connectivity between primary care and hospital services (Keynote Speech, European Association of Hospital Managers 2006)
- Mutual misery: frequent attenders in primary care (Invitation to Speak, Faculty of Liaison Psychiatry Annual Meeting, Barcelona Spain, 2005)
- Los síntomas inexplicados en atención primaria (Invitation to Speak, Autonomous University of Madrid 2005)
- Beyond Depression (Invitation to Speak, Department of General Practice, University of Melbourne 2005)
- Difficult doctor-patient relationships (Invitation to Speak, . XXIV Congreso de la Sociedad Espanola de Medicina Familiar y Communitaria. Seville, Spain. 2004)
- Mental health inequalities in primary care (Invitation to Speak, RCGP/NIMHE Primary Care Mental Health and Health Inequalities Conference. Birmingham 2004)
- Beyond Depression (Invitation to Speak, Centre for Citizenship and Community Mental Health, Bradford. 2004)
- Prozac or racing pigeons? Managing complex problems in primary care. (Keynote Speech, West of Scotland RCGP Faculty. Glasgow. 2004)
- Beyond Depression (Keynote Speech, Society for Academic Primary Care 32nd Annual Scientific Meeting. Manchester, 2003)
- Outcomes of Depression International Network (ODIN): Achievements and Prospects (Keynote Speech, Mexican National Institute of Psychiatry. Mexico City 2001)