As Professor of Primary Medical Care I have a broad academic and clinical perspective, with particular interests in primary mental health care.
In addition to my university work I am a General Practitioner with Aintree Park Group Practice, Professorial Research Fellow with the Department of General Practice in the University of Melbourne, and Chair of the Working Party for Mental Health in the World Organisation of Family Doctors
My book 'Person-centred Primary Care: Searching for the Self' was published by Routledge in 2018.
- Practices and moral communities (Invitation to Speak, Professional Virtues Conference, University of Warwick 2018)
- Suffering and hope in the primary care consultation (Keynote Speech, Universal Health and Mental Health Conference, Malta 2018)
- Suffering and Hope: 3rd Helen Lester Memorial Lecture. (Keynote Speech, Society for Academic Primary Care 2016)
- Senior Investigator Emeritus (National Institute for Health Research 2016)
- George Abercrombie Award (Royal College of General Practitioners 2017)