See our recent article here outlining concerns about child health unravelling in the UK.
I’m a Professor of Public Health and Policy; MRC Clinician Scientist; and Honorary Consultant in Public Health at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital with expertise in public health, health inequalities, paediatrics and child health, epidemiology and statistics, and evidence synthesis.
My current MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship (2017-21) is entitled “Reducing inequalities in child health: understanding pathways, interventions and policies.” This involves social epidemiological analysis of population level linked datasets and birth cohort studies in the UK and Denmark, in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Copenhagen, where I'm an Affiliate Professor of Child Public Health in the Section of Epidemiology.
Other projects focus on inequalities in chronic diseases in children, including asthma, cystic fibrosis, mental health, diabetes , and gastro-intestinal illness.
I’m co-lead for the NIHR School for Public Health Research (LiLaC) Children and Young People Theme; an investigator for the Public Health Research Consortium; and a member of INRICH. I led the child health component of the Due North Inquiry on Health Equity for the North (2014); and a Cochrane review of global child deworming policies.
In my clinical public health work, I sit on the Children’s Trust Board in Liverpool, and work with Liverpool Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Alder Hey Children's Hospital and Liverpool City Council to develop more effective and equitable services for children in the city.
From 2009 – 2014 I was funded by the MRC on a Population Health Scientist Fellowship, and then a Centenary Award. Prior to this I was a Clinical Lecturer in Public Health and a Specialist Registrar on the Mersey Deanery Public Health Training scheme. I originally trained in paediatrics at Alder Hey in Liverpool, following two years of clinical practice in Australia, and subsequently worked as a research fellow at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.
See recent Public Health England keynote presentation here; and listen to interview about global deworming in children on BBC Radio 4 “More or Less” here.
Prizes or Honours
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, Institute for Child Health, UCL (UCL, 2014)
- Postgraduate Statistics Centre Prize for Excellence in Learning (Lancaster University, 2011)
- European CF Society: Best abstract: Pulmonology (ECFS, 2011)
- William MacAdam Prize in Medicine (University of Leeds, 1998)
- MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship (Medical Research Council (MRC), 2017)
- MRC Centenary Award (Medical Research Council (MRC), 2012)
- MRC Population Health Scientist Fellowship (2009-2012, 2009)
Other Personal Distinctions
- Affiliate Professor of Public Health (University of Copenhagen, 2018)