Chemical biology, Glycomics and Translational Applications of Heparan Sulphates in Health and Disease
Chemical biology and glycomics of heparan sulphates (a specialized class of multi-functional glycoproteins) in the nervous system in development and disease. Current topics include: 1. dynamic HS biosynthesis and functions; 2. role of heparan sulphate in stem cell biology; 3. development of innovative technologies for “glycomics” studies on HS structure-activity relationships - saccharide libraries (natural, semi-synthetic and synthetic glycans and mime tics), mass spec sequencing, glycooarrays; 4. the role of HS in neural & neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimers disease and Kallmanns syndrome; 5. translational studies on drug discovery and biotechnology applications of HS compounds and mimetics in Alzheimers disease, cancer and spinal cord repair. Multi-disciplinary experimental approaches are used including biochemistry (protein expression, carbohydrate analysis), molecular biology (gene cloning & expression, RNA interference), cell biology (cell culture, immunofluorescence) and chemistry (semi-synthetic and synthetic carbohydrates).
- Exploring glycosidic neo-epitopes of degenerative granules in aged mice: implications for ageing and dementia -GLYCONEOBRAIN
- Inhibition of beta-secretase
- Prodromal inhibitiond of beta-secretase by synthetic heparins
- Enzymatic heparin production
- 2014 allocation - Wellcome ISSF non clinical fellowships
- Interaction of heparan sulfate with the protease beta-secretase: a novel mechanism for regulation of APP processing.
- Extracellular Modulation of Multiprotein Signalling Complexes: Molecular Regulation of FGFR Signalling by Anosmin & Heparan Sulphate Proteoglycans
- Integrated Signalling Networks In Muscle Stem Cells: Cell Fate Regulation by Heparan Sulfates (SATCELLOMICS).
- Evaluation of optimised heparins as novel therapeutics for alzheimers disease.
- China-UK Partnership to Develop Biotechnology Applications of Novel Heparinoids and Sulfated Polysaccharides
- Novel oligosaccharide inhibitors of the Alzheimer's beta-secretase enzyme
- Heparinoid Beta-secretase Inhibitors with Novel Mode of Action: Pilot Development of Leads
- Chemically modified low molecular weight heparins as potent disruptors of rosetting in severe malaria
- Identifying intestinal receptors for Crohn's Escherichia coli
- Exploiting saccharide microarrays: towards glycomic studies of heparan sulphate-protein interactions.
- Exploiting heparan sulfates for directed neural differentiation of stem cells.
- CASE studentship: Controlling stem cells with heparan sulfate analogues and polymer scaffolds
- The Role of Multidrug Transporters in causing Pharmacoresistance in Epilepsy
- Adel Alghamdi - bench fees
- “Manipulation of heparan sulphate proteoglycans as a strategy for promoting brain repair"
- Enhancing the propagation of ES cells by regulation of visceral endoderm differentiation.
- Chemical intervention in heparan sulphate-dependent growth factor signalling systems using engineered heparin saccharides.
- Basic technology: glycochips-strategies for high-throughput analysis of the glycome.
- Developing a stem cell based therapy to replace nephrons lost through reflux nephropathy. EU - PROPOSAL NUMBER 036097-2 KIDSTEM
- Novel strategies for promoting CNS repair through manipulation of FGF signalling and heparan sulphate proteoglycans
- Preclinical studies of novel heparan mimetics for prevention and treatment of TSE (HMS AS ANTI PRION DRUGS).
- Shotgun Functional Glycomics of Heparan Sulphate Saccharides: Generating Diverse Libraries to Decode Biological Selectivity
- Isolating a heparin-derived sequence to activate endogenous Dnase I agreement
- Molecular function in post-genome biology (MOLFUN).
- University of Liverpool Institutional Discipline Bridging.
- Heparan sulphates as dynamic cell regulators: structure, biosynthesis and mechanisms of action of the neural heparanome.
- The potential role of soluble plantain fibre and its components in preventing colonisation and invasion of the intestinal mucosa by S.Typhimurium.
- Microarray Bioassays for Functional Glycome Screening
- Heparan sulfate and Alzheimer's Disease: Modulation of β-secretase Processing of Amyloid Precursor Protein by Oligosaccharide Inhibitors
- Altered Heparan Sulfate in Ageing and Dementia: a Potential Axis for Dysregulation of BACE-1 in Alzheimers Disease
- CIC biomaGUNE studentship
Prof David Edgar
Stem cell differentiation