I am a molecular microbiologist with a focus on virus genomics and metagenomics. My current research focuses on the use of metagenomics approaches to find human pathogenic viruses in the environment. In general, I am interested in environmental viromics, applications of viromics technologies and the viral sequence space in general, especially viral dark matter.
Since 2014, I have been the Vice Chair of the Bacterial and Archaeal Viruses subcommittee of the International Committee on the Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) where I am responsible for creating new taxa of bacteriophages and academic outreach to the greater phage community. As such, I have been involved in the submission of more than 150 Taxonomy Proposals creating new genera, subfamilies and families.
- Most Promising Early Career Researcher (Institute of Integrative Biology 2018)
- Johnston Postdoctoral Development Fund (Institute of Integrative Biology 2017)
- Virology Africa Conference (Keynote Speech, South Africa 2015)
- Claude Leon Foundation Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, Claude Leon Foundation 2015)
- Vice Chancellor's Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, University of Pretoria 2013)