Nicholas Evans is a Senior Lecturer in Infection Biology (Department of Infection Biology, Institute of Infection and Global Health, University of Liverpool). He primarily contributes to teaching & research of Veterinary Infectious Diseases/Microbiology and leads the teaching of Infectious Diseases to Veterinary Science BVSc students (coordinating 2 modules equivalent across Years 1-3).
Nick completed a University of Manchester CASE PhD in 2004 which largely focused on Microbial Genetics / Molecular Biology / Biochemistry and included industrial placements at the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control. He next joined the University of Liverpool Veterinary School as a Postdoctoral Researcher funded through DEFRA and Industry where he developed a keen interest in veterinary microbiology, largely centering on spirochetes and ruminant diseases. Subsequently he was awarded a BBSRC ‘Postdoctoral Researcher Co-Investigator’ post at the Veterinary School (2008) and went on to be appointed as a Lecturer in the newly formed University of Liverpool Institute of Infection and Global Health in 2011.
- Scientific Committee Member for the 7th international Conference on Colonic Spirochaetal Infections, Hannover, Germany (University of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany & Elanco 2016)
- Session chair for treponeme session at the 7th international Conference on Colonic Spirochaetal Infections, Hannover, Germany (University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Germany & Elanco 2016)
- Invited Keynote Speaker (Keynote Speech, 6th International Conference on Colonic Spirochaetal Infections in Animals and Humans, Novartis/University of Surrey 2013)
- Invited Keynote Speaker (Keynote Speech, the 17th International Symposium and 9th International Conference on Lameness in Ruminants, University of Bristol 2013)
- Invited speaker (Invitation to Speak, Combating Endemic Diseases of Farmed Animals for Sustainability, BBSRC grant holders’ dissemination workshop/meeting, November 2011, London, England 2011)
- Wellcome Trust VIP Funding Award (University of Liverpool 2007)
- CASE PhD Studentship Award (University of Manchester/National Institute for Biological Standards and Control 2000)
- Sir W.H. Tate Scholarship Award (University of Liverpool 1999)
- Member of BVSc Curriculum Development Group
- Member of BVSc Veterinary Undergraduate Education Committee
- Member of BVSc Module Review Board, Member of BVSc Marks Review Group
- Member of BVSc Final Board of Examiners and Progression Board
- IGH Alumni Academic Lead