I am a veterinary surgeon who undertakes both undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary teaching / specialist equine surgical work together with research at the university. I graduated from the University of Glasgow with a degree in Veterinary Medicine & Surgery in 1996. After working in private (mixed and equine) practice for 4 years, I completed a Residency in Equine Surgery at the University of Liverpool in 2003 and have held the European Diploma in Equine Surgery since 2004. I completed a PhD on the Epidemiology of Equine Colic at the University of Liverpool in 2006. I was appointed as Senior Lecturer in Equine Soft Tissue Surgery at the university in 2006 and subsequently was appointed as Professor of Equine Surgery in 2013.
I have dual roles, combining both teaching (clinical work) and research. I am a European and Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Specialist in Equine Surgery am Head of Equine Surgery at the University's Philip Leverhulme Equine Hospital. I undertake both small group and formal teaching of veterinary undergraduate students in equine surgery and emergency care and am co-ordinator of three veterinary taught postgraduate modules for the Certificate of Advanced Veterinary Practice (equine lameness / surgery).
My research focuses on animal health, involving quantitative and qualitative methods (epidemiology and sociology), vector biology (midges & mosquitoes) and the role of the microbiota in equine intestinal disease. I am Principle Investigator on several grants and am supervisor / co-supervisor of a number of PhD and MPhil students.
- Session organiser and invitation to speak & chair sessions (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association (BEVA) 2015)
- Invitation to speak (Invitation to Speak, European College of Veterinary Surgeons 2015)
- Invitation to speak and chair sessions (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association 2010)
- Presentation of lecture (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association 2007)
- Presentation of work (Invitation to Speak, American College of Veterinary Surgeons 2006)
- Lecture (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association 2006)
- Lecture (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association 2004)
- Presentation (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association 2004)
- Presentation (Invitation to Speak, British Equine Veterinary Association 2003)
- Finlay Kerr undergraduate prize for surgery (University of Glasgow 1996)
- Head of Equine Surgery, Philip Leverhulme Equine Hospital