I am a Senior Clinician Scientist Fellow and an Honorary Consultant Neurologist. I completed my Post-Doctoral Training at the Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital and at Harvard Medical School where I was developed an intravital microscopy model of viral encephalitis to image leucocyte migration into the brain in real-time.
Recent research grants as PI include funding from the Wellcome Trust, MRC, Academy of Medical Sciences, NIHR, and as the recipient of both the Liversage award and the BMA Vera Down Award for Neuroscience.
I have a h-index of 17, an i10-index of 21, with >60 publications, and >1,500 citations. I have grant income from Wellcome, the MRC, NIHR, and Academy of Medical Sciences, of approximately £750,000 as PI and approximately £4.2M as Co-I.
I am Vice Chair of the Encephalitis Society's Profession Panel, a Scientific Advisor to the Meningitis Research Foundation, and I work with the NIHR to promote public and patient involvement in research.
I previously held an NIHR Academic Clinical Lectureship in Neurological Infection and completed a PhD on the neuroimmunological response in viral encephalitis.
I obtained an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship in 2008 and was awarded an NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship in 2010. I trained in Medicine in Liverpool and helped set up Brain Infections UK (www.BrainInfectionsUK.org) and am a main author for national guidelines for encephalitis and meningitis for the Association of British Neurologists and the British Infection Association. My research interests include: Neuro-immunological responses, particularly to infection, and the clinical management of central nervous system infections.
I also developed ClickClinica©, a novel smartphone application to track the global spread of disease, featured in the Lancet ID. I run the NeuroPACES course, co-ordinate the NeuroID course, and lead the NeuroACCESS programme to improve neurological education in two sites in sub-Saharan Africa, as featured in the Lancet Neurology.
..................Faculty of One Thousand Profile
..................Encephalitis Society Profile
..................Meningitis Research Foundation Profile
..................Harvard University and MGH Center for Immune and Inflammatory Disease
Prizes or Honours
- MRC-AMED Collaborative Grant (MRC, 2020)
- Annual Liversage Award (NENA, 2018)
- Wellcome Trust Competitive Seed Grant (Wellcome Trust, 2018)
- Vera Down Award for Neuroscience (British Medical Association, 2016)
- Grant for Clinical Lecturers (Academy of Medical Science, 2016)
- Doctors as volunteers (NeuroAccess)- Highly commended (British Medical Association, 2016)
- Medical Education (Association of British Neurologists, 2015)
- Medical Education (Association of British Neurologists, 2014)
- Excellence in Innovation- Celebrating Success Awards (University of Liverpool, 2013)
- Guarantors of Brain International Travel Award (Guarantors of Brain, 2011)
- ACP Annual Junior Investigators Award (Association of Clinical Pathologists, 2009)
- NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship (National Institute for Health Research, 2011)
- NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship (National Institute for Health Research , 2008)