I am a Senior Clinician Scientist Fellow at the NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Emerging and Zoonotic Infections and an Honorary Consultant Neurologist at the Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust.
I currently work at the Center for Immune and Inflammatory Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital and am an Honorary Medical Lecturer at Harvard Medical School.
I obtained an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship in 2008 and was awarded an NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship in 2010. I obtained and NIHR Academic Clinical Lectureship in 2015, and was awarded an Academy of Medical Sciences grant and the British Medical Association Vera Down grant for Neuroscience in 2016.
I completed a PhD on the neuroimmunological response in viral encephalitis. I trained in Medicine in Liverpool, and helped set up the NHS Northwest Neurological Infectious Diseases Research Network and Brain Infections UK (www.BrainInfectionsUK.org) and am a main author for the ABN/BIA National Encephalitis Guideline.
My research interests include: Neuro-immunological responses, particularly to infection, and the clinical management of central nervous system infections.
I am a Trustee for the Encephalitis Society and work closely with the Meningitis Research Foundation, the International Encephalitis Working Group and the National Patient Safety Agency to promote public and patient involvement in research and clinical practice development.
I run the NeuroPACES course, assist in co-ordinating the NeuroID course, and lead the development of the NeuroAccess programme to improve neurological education in two sites in sub-Saharan Africa, featured in the Lancet Neurology. I also developed ClickClinica©, a novel smartphone application to track the global spread of disease, featured in the Lancet ID.
....Harvard Medical School Profile.....Faculty of 1000 profile......Encephalitis Society Trustee profile
- Vera Down Award for Neuroscience (British Medical Association 2016)
- Grant for Clinical Lecturers (Academy of Medical Science 2016)
- M-PACT Nigeria (Invitation to Speak, Royal College of Physicians 2015)
- Doctors as volunteers (NeuroAccess)- Highly commended (British Medical Association 2016)
- Medical Education (Association of British Neurologists 2014)
- Medical Education (Association of British Neurologists 2015)
- Excellence in Innovation- Celebrating Success Awards (University of Liverpool 2013)
- NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, National Institute for Health Research 2011)
- Guarantors of Brain International Travel Award (Guarantors of Brain 2011)
- ACP Annual Junior Investigators Award (Association of Clinical Pathologists 2009)
- NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, National Institute for Health Research 2008)
- Trustee- The Encephalitis Society (2012-current)
- Association of British Neurologists: Neurological Infection Specialist Interest Group (2009-current)
- Royal College of Physicians (2010- current)
- Encephalitis Society (Scientific Advisory Panel 2010- current)
- International Encephalitis Working Group (2011- current)