I was born in Cambridge, but grew up in Liverpool, Washington DC and Istanbul/Ankara before returning to the UK to read for my BSc in Microbiology at the University of Leicester, where I was also awarded my PhD in Immunology in 1996 on the role of CD4 T cell recirculation and adhesion in chronic inflammatory disease. I continued along the theme of host immunity during inflammatory disease in my first postdoctoral position at the Hammersmith Hospital Imperial College London before moving back to the University of Leicester to start working on host immune responses to pneumococcal colonisation and invasive disease. I have been working on the pneumococcus ever since. At the University of Leicester, Department of Infection, Immunity & Inflammation, I was promoted to Lecturer in Respiratory Infection in 2005, then Reader in 2009. I returned to Liverpool as Professor of Bacterial Pathogenesis in 2011 at the Institute of Infection & Global Health.
- Plenary Speaker (Invitation to Speak, Microbiology Society Annual Conference 2016)
- Researcher of the Year (Institute of Infection & Global Health 2016)
- Plenary Speaker (Keynote Speech, Europneumo Conference, Oxford 2015)
- Researcher of the Year (Institute of Infection & Global Health 2014)
- Plenary Speaker (Keynote Speech, European Respiratory Society International Congress Barcelona 2013)
- Frank May Prize Medal for Researcher of the Year (Faculty of Medicine, University of Leicester 2009)
- Theme Lead for "Understanding how pathogens cause disease" one of five IGH research themes. See details here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/infection-and-global-health/research/pathogens-disease/ Theme Lead for Pre-clinical Assessment Models for Liverpool Centre for Global Vaccine Research. See details here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/infection-and-global-health/research/vaccines/themes/
- IGH representative on Technology Directorate Strategy Group.
- IGH representative on Biomedical Services Unit Users Group.
- Deputy Head of Department for Clinical Infection, Microbiology & Immunology
- Member of IGH Institute Management Team