I am a geneticist with experience of working with a range of bacteria and fungi including Escherichia coli, the food poisoning organism Clostridium perfringens and the model eukaryotes Aspergillus nidulans, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Schizosacchharomyces pombe.
I am particularly interested in interdisciplinary studies and have collaborations around the University. Perhaps the most unusual being with Deryn Rees-Jones (English Department). Deryn and I have recently set up the Liverpool Centre for Poetry and Science (LUPAS).
- Interview for Science Cafe program (Invitation to Speak, BBC Radio Wales 2009)
- Interviewee on BBC Radio Wales Science Cafe (Invitation to Speak, BBC 2009)
- Interviewed Gillian Ferguson - poet (Invitation to Perform, BBC World Service 2008)
- Workshop leading and panel member (Invitation to Speak, Poetry Society 2006)
- Chiron Bursary (Competitive Fellowship, Chiron 2005)
- I am the Molecular Biology BSc programme Director. In addition to this role I am the module co-ordinator for the first year classical genetics module and a final year module looking at genome organisation and evolution.