To me, external engagement, be it research, teaching, or outreach, is an essential part of being an academic.
I co-convene and teach in the module "Non-human primate morphology" which runs in the Erasmus Mundus Programme European Master in Comparative Vertebrate Morphology (Antwerp, Poznán).
I engage in numerous outreach and public engagement activities, which I really enjoy. Recently I have been involved in events such as Meet the Scientists (World Museum, Liverpool), Pint of Science (Liverpool; as a speaker and as a host), and SciBar (Widnes and Kirkby). I am mentoring sixth-form students for the Social Mobility Foundation.
I have taken up editorial roles in addition to being an active reviewer (Publons record, winner of a 2018 Peer Reviewer Award). I co-organised symposia and conferences such as the 2013 Congress of the European Federation for Primatology and the 2015 Footwear Biomechanics Symposium in Liverpool.
- Looking for the best foot in the best shoe: how to stimulate healthy locomotion in an ageing population?, Keynote/Plenary by Invitation (17th Stafford Conference on Clinical Biomechanics, 2019)
- The biomechanics of human locomotion: Evolving barefoot, Keynote/Plenary by Invitation (Footwear Biomechanics Symposium, Natal, Brazil, 2013)
- The evolution of feet, by Invitation (Lustrum Congress Podology, Ghent, Belgium, 2012)
- The biomechanics of bipedal gait: About modern humans, their ancestors, and robots, by Invitation (Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland, 2011)
- Plantar pressure distribution in the normal and in the diabetic foot, by Invitation (Diabetic Foot Society of India, Mumbai, India, 2006)
- Bipedal walking in hominins: What can we learn from experimental research on apes and humans?, Keynote/Plenary by Invitation (Anthropological Society of Nippon, 2005)
- The evolutionary history of the human foot, Keynote/Plenary by Invitation (International Footscan Meeting, Prague, Czech Republic, 2005)
- The evolution of habitual bipedalism in humans, Keynote/Plenary by Invitation (Adidas Technical Summit, Scheinfeld, Germany, 2000)
- Footwear Science (Editorial Board Member, 2018 - present)
- Bulletins et Mémoires de la Société d'Anthropologie de Paris (Member of the Reading Committee, 2017 - present)
- American Journal of Physical Anthropology (Associate Editor, 2009 - 2014)
- University of Sheffield, PhD (2019)
- Liverpool John Moores University, PhD (2019)
- University of Western Australia (Australia), PhD (2019)
- Université de Bordeaux (France), PhD (2019)
- University of Kent, MSc (PGT, 2017)
- University of Birmingham, PhD (2017)
- Antwerp University (Belgium), PhD (2017)
- University of Birmingham, PhD (2016)
- Royal Veterinary College London, PhD (2016)
- Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris & Université Paris Descartes (France), PhD (2016)
- Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris (France), PhD (2015)
- University of Birmingham, PhD (2011)
- Ghent University (Belgium), PhD (2011)
- Ghent University (Belgium), PhD (2010)
- George Washington University (USA), PhD (2009)
- Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris (France), PhD (2007)
- Ghent University (Belgium), PhD (2006)
- Ghent University (Belgium), PhD (2004)
Professional Body Memberships
- International Foot and Ankle Biomechanics Community (i-FAB) (Member, 2018 - present)
- Institute for Leadership and Management (Member, 2018 - present)
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow, 2016 - present)
- Anatomical Society (Member, 2014 - present)
- Primate Society of Great Britain (Member, 2014 - present)
- International Society of Biomechanics (Member, 2013 - present)
- Footwear Biomechanics Group (Member, 2009 - present)
Other Administrative or Committee Roles
- Member of the EDWInA (Equality, Diversity and Well-being) Steering Committee in IACD. Sustainability Lead.
- Manager of the Medical and Comparative Anatomy Collection of the Institute of Ageing and Chronic Disease.