John Wilding leads Clinical Research into Obesity, Diabetes and Endocrinology at the University of Liverpool. He graduated from Southampton University in 1985, where he continued his clinical training until moving to the Royal Postgraduate Medical School at Hammersmith Hospital, London where he undertook specialist training in Diabetes and Endocrinology, and three years laboratory-based research into the neurobiology of obesity and diabetes. He has been clinical academic at the University of Liverpool since 1996, and was appointed Professor of Medicine in 2005. He leads specialist services for severe obesity at University Hospital Aintree – designated a Centre for Obesity Management by the UK and European Associations for the Study of Obesity.
John’s research team focusses on developing new treatments and strategies to reduce the burden of obesity-related disease. John has published over three hundred papers, chapters and review articles related to his clinical and laboratory research interests, which include clinical trials in obesity and diabetes, adipocyte biology, functional neuroimaging of appetite in obesity & endocrine disease, and studies of metabolism in obesity and diabetes.
He is an Associate Editor of Diabetic Medicine, a Council member of the Royal College of Physicians and chairs the NIHR National Clinical Research Network Metabolic and Endocrine Speciality Group. He is a past Chair of the UK Association for the Study of Obesity and President Elect of the World Obesity Federation.
- Role of the kidney in glucose homeostasis (Invitation to Speak, American Diabetes Association 2010)
- What do we know about the causes of overweight? (Invitation to Speak, Royal Society of Medicine 2010)
- SGLT2 Inhbitors for Diabetes (Invitation to Speak, American Diabetes Association 2009)
- Obesity Diabetes and Sleep Apnoea (Invitation to Speak, Portuguse Diabetes Association 2009)
- Sleep apnoea and metabolic syndrome (Invitation to Speak, International Diabetes Federation 2009)
- SGLT2 Inhibitors for Diabetes (Invitation to Speak, EASD 2008)
- Obesity: Role of drugs in the 21st Century (Invitation to Speak, British Endocrine Society 2008)
- Evidence for pharmacotherapy in diabetes: weight-reducing agents (Invitation to Speak, Diabetes UK 2008)
- Diabetes and Sleep Apnoea (Keynote Speech, Federation of European Nurses in Diabetes 2007)
- Treating Obesity in Diabetes (Invitation to Speak, Diabetes UK 2007)
- Neuroendocrinology of appetite control (Invitation to Speak, Hellenic Society of Endocrinology 2007)
- Current Therapeutic Approaches to Obesity (Invitation to Speak, Heart UK 2006)
- Management of Obesity (Invitation to Speak, Korean Association of Family Medicine 2006)
- Epidemiology of Obesity in the UK (Invitation to Speak, Royal Society of Medicine 2006)
- Invited Speaker (Invitation to Speak, ISOH 2005)
- Speaker (Invitation to Speak, Obesity and health 2005)
- Speaker (Invitation to Speak, Sleep Group 2005)
- Founding Fellow (International Obesity Taskforce 2004)