PS Victory lost 1853

Wooden Paddle steamer built J Wilson & sons, Liverpool, 1832
Owned St George Steam Packet Co., then Waterford Commercial Steam Navigation Co.
256 tons, 153 x 24 ft.
Passage Liverpool to Waterford, struck Barrels Rocks on 28 September 1853 and foundered
Position 52°9.041N, 6°23.262W (of North Cardinal Mark on rocks)
Captain Stacey and crew and passengers (40) saved in own boats, 1 lost.

Detail from a painting of her by S. Walters: off Cork in 1838 while in the ownership of St. George Steam Packet Co.

[from Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier - Saturday 31 March 1832]:
Launch of a New Steamer for Cork Station. Monday, the 10th of April will launched from the building-yard of Messrs. Wilson and Sons, Trentham-street, a splendid new Steam Packet, belonging to the St. George Steam Packet Company. This vessel, which is intended to be called the Victory, and intended for the Cork and Bristol station, is upwards of 400 tons burthen, and will be fitted with engines of 180 horses power, made by our townsmen, Messrs. Fawcett, Preston, and Co., whose names are sufficient to give as a proof their superior excellency. Of the model of the vessel, we need say no more than that she is built on the same plan as the St. George, which was launched from the same yard in November last, and is now plying on the Liverpool and Dublin station, the envy of all her competitors, but excelled by none.

[From Wexford People, Saturday 01 October 1853}:
WRECK OF THE STEAMSHIP VICTORY. On Wednesday morning [28 Sept 1853], about half-past four o'clock, the steamer Victory of Waterford, on her voyage from Liverpool to Waterford, struck on the Barrels' rocks about two miles off Carnsore point; she took in water so rapidly that she became very soon entirely unmanageable. The crew and passengers consisted of about forty souls. - The boats were lowered and all succeeded in landing with the exception of one of the crew; on stepping out of the boat near the edge of the shore, he accidentally fell, and whirled by a wave, was in a moment launched into eternity. The poor fellow's body was not found till about one o'clock, when it was washed in on the shore. Scarcely had the boats left the unfortunate vessel when, she was seen to sink in the channel about five miles distant from the shore. She had a very valuable general cargo on board.

Postscript: The Barrels Rocks are a comparatively small drying area (at LW; covered at HW) of rocks 1.66nm at 213° from Carnsore Point. A more prominent rock (Black Rock) dries 2m at HW and lies quite close by. The Bailees refers to a shallow area NE of Carnsore Point, while the Saltees are substantial islands SW of Carnsore Point.

Information added in other contemporary newspaper reports: She had discharged a government contract to take soldiers to Liverpool and was on her return trip.
  Her Master was Captain John Stacey and Chief Engineer Bowden. The Captain had been mate aboard the Waterwitch which sank in 1833 in a nearby position - his uncle John Stacey (Sr) was the captain of the Waterwitch [and is described as having died in her wreck, although contemporary reports state he got ashore]. The Waterwitch and Victory were sister ships, one surviving only months, while the other lasted 20 years.