The Town of Liverpool steam-packet was advertised as making her first run on Saturday 18 December 1824 from Liverpool to Dublin, sailing direct to Custom House Quay. Cabin fare was 1 guinea. Thereafter she would sail twice weekly, alternating with the City of Dublin. Two further vessels were expected to be ready in the spring of 1825 [Hibernia was launched February 1825 and Britannia in July 1825].

From Waterford Mail, Saturday 15 March 1828:
  A letter from Capt. Hunt, pilot-master at Dunmore, reached the Chamber of Commerce last night, stating that a steam vessel was discerned from that station, on shore on the rocks at Hook point at the entrance of the harbour, which he supposes to be the Town of Liverpool, which vessel left our quay with a full cargo for Liverpool, about 3 o'clock yesterday evening. The weather had been very thick and foggy. A boat was instantly sent off from Dunmore to her assistance.

From Waterford Mail, Wednesday 19 March 1828:
  LOSS OF THE TOWN OF LIVERPOOL STEAM VESSEL. (further particulars.) In our paper of Saturday, we mentioned the fact of the above fine vessel having struck on the rocks near Hook Point, in our harbour, on Friday evening last [14 March 1828], on her passage to Liverpool. About half-past five o'clock, in a very thick fog - indeed so dense was it that nothing could be discovered at a few yards distance - and when the pilot on board was on the look out for the pilot-boat, to be put ashore, being under the impression that the vessel was outside the Hook, a cry of "breakers a-head" gave the alarm to all on board, but too late to avoid the calamity, she struck with tremendous force on the rocks and instantly bilged. The general opinion on board was that, from the supposed rate at which she was going, she was outside the Tower, and it is a curious circumstance, that had she not struck, two minutes more would have brought her round the point and clear of the harbour; it also remarkable, that in ten minutes after the accident, the fog cleared away, and the vessel was seen ashore from Dunmore and all the adjoining coast. Capt. Brett and the crew, and the few passengers on board were all saved. Instantly, on perceiving her ashore, assistance was sent from the pilot station at Dunmore, and numerous boats from Slade also came around her. Since the accident, the weather has fortunately been very moderate, and the entire cargo has been got out, partially damaged. Of the great number of live cattle on board, only 10 cows, as many sheep, and 6 pigs have been lost, the remainder were got ashore in safety. The vessel is now in course of being broken up; a great part of her machinery has been already got out, and, except the hull and heavy part of the boilers, but little else will lost, should the weather continue moderate. She lies immediately under the Hook light-house, than which there is not a more dangerous shore in the harbour, and on which, even in the finest weather, a very heavy swell is constantly breaking. A steam boat called the Mars has arrived from Dublin assist in getting the machinery, etc., out of the wreck.

From Waterford Mail, Saturday 22 March 1828:
  SHIP NEWS. The hull of the Town of Liverpool, wrecked on Hook point, in our harbour, has entirely gone to pieces; the greater part of the copper on her bottom had been taken off, and all her materials landed previously. Nearly the entire of her engines, boilers, etc. will be saved, a large part of her side having been cut out, where she broke asunder, and the machinery remained on the rocks where it has been secured by the chain cables.