Ann Sumner 1888

Wooden Schooner built Chester 1857, 59 tons, ON 16679.
Owned Henry Bond, Barrow; registered Lancaster.
Foundered on voyage Point of Ayr to Douglas with coal, 14 February 1888.
Captain William Howarth and 2 crew lost.

The schooner Ann Sumner foundered in the Horse Channel on Wednesday [14 Feb 1888], about 2/3 mile N of the Newcome Knoll Buoy [position also called 89 per chart]. The vessel left Douglas, a few days previously [10 Feb] in ballast, to load coal at Point of Ayr Colliery, a trip she made regularly. She had loaded coal and then proceeded back to Douglas, intending to arrive there on 14th February. She was owned by Henry Bond of Barrow and registered at Lancaster (to which Barrow was assigned). There was a NNE force 6 wind at the time.

The Ann Sumner was built at Chester in 1857, of 59 tons register, and had a total crew of three: Captain William Howarth (41), mate Daniel Roney (45) and the captain's son Edward T Howarth (16). William Howarth was born at Stalmine Lancashire (near Fleetwood) and his son was born at Connah's Quay (Dee). At the time of the loss, Captain Howarth's family were living at Douglas, Isle of Man.

The body of the mate and the ship's small boat were washed ashore the following day at Hoylake. Captain Howarth's body was washed ashore at Formby some weeks later. It was thought that the Ann Sumner may have been sunk by a collision and the crew were unable to save themselves in their boat.

The wrecksite was visited by the MDHB tender and they identified the wrecked vessel. They removed the spars and rigging so that it was not an obstacle to shipping.

Ironically, William Howarth had applied for a License for a Fleetwood Hotel in Douglas a few weeks earlier, intending to leave the sea. The License had been refused. Administration of his estate was granted to his widow - value £233.