Studied Medicine at Manchester University (BSc (1st class Hons) in Medical Biochemistry, 1988, MB.ChB (with Hons), 1991). After junior hospital posts at Royal Preston Hospital (MRCP(UK) 1994), I returned to the University of Manchester to train in gastroenterology and to perform research with Prof J. Hickman and Prof C. Potten (Digestive Disorders Foundation and MRC Clinical Training Fellowships leading to PhD, 1999). During this time I studied the genetic regulation of apoptosis in the GI tract.
In 2000 I moved to the University of Liverpool as a clinical lecturer to complete my clinical training (2002). Following this I was awarded an Advanced Clinical Fellowship for Clinicians from the Wellcome Trust to study apoptosis in the stomach. I was appointed clinical senior lecturer in 2006, Professor in 2009 and Head of Department of Gastroenterology in 2010. I was awarded the ASNEMGE rising star award 2007 and the Sir Francis Avery Jones research medal from the British Society of Gastroenterology in 2008. I was academic lead for Integrated Clinical Academic Training (ICAT) at the University of Liverpool from 2010-15. Since July 2016 I have been Head of the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology.
I am also an honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist at Royal Liverpool and Brodgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust where I also lead the European Neuroendocrine Tumour Society (ENETS) Centre of Excellence for the management of patients with neuroendocrine tumours.
- Sir Francis Avery Jones Research Gold medal (Prize, British Society of Gastroenterology 2008)
- Membership of Association of Physicians of GB and Ireland (Association of Physicians of GB and Ireland 2007)
- ASNEMGE Rising Star prize (Prize, ASNEMGE 2007)
- Advancved Fellowship for medical graduates (Competitive Fellowship, Wellcome trust 2005)
- Head of Department of Cellular and Molecular Phyiology
- Previous academic lead for Integrated Clinical Academic Training at University of Liverpool from Sept 2010 until Dec 2015
- Chair of the BSG Gastroduodenal section committee and member of both the Research and Education committees.
- Editorial board member for the journals Gut, American Journal of Physiology and World Journal of Gastroenterology.