The research of the Neuronal Signalling Group addresses the following questions:
- What are the basic mechanisms underlying the exocytotic release of neurotransmitters?
- How are neuronal calcium signals translated into physiological responses by calcium sensor proteins?
- What is the structural basis for target protein recognition by neuronal calcium-binding proteins?
- What is the role of heat-shock and other proteins in protection from damaging challenge following alcohol or nicotine exposure?
- How do neuronal chaperone proteins protect neurons from neurodegeneration?
- How can neurodegeneration be prevented by genetic or chemical factors?