Why study at the University of Liverpool?
We were established in 1881 and we can truly claim to be the original ‘redbrick’ university – the phrase was coined about our distinctive red brick Victoria Building.
We are rightly proud of our founding mission - ‘for the advancement of learning and ennoblement of life.’ It is inscribed on a plaque on the Victoria building and it remains our mission today, a touchstone for all that we do. It underlines our belief in the transformative power of research and education, not least in the face of an increasingly complex and challenging world.
Ranked in the top 200 of universities worldwide (THE 2017/18, QS 2017/18, ARWU 2017).
33,000 students, 8,000 of whom travel from all over the world to study here.
A global network of 216,000 alumni in 171 countries.
Be part of a university with a global outlook
- One of the top 200 universities in the world (THE 2017/18, QS 2017/18, ARWU 2017)
- Study alongside over 100 nationalities on campus
- Take advantage of outstanding Study Abroad options, including our flagship Year in China programme
- Benefit from the expertise of our global mentoring network – while you are studying and when you graduate
- We’re the largest provider of online degrees in Europe, and offer opportunities to study in Liverpool, London, Singapore and China
- Take up a language as part of or alongside your studies
91% of our UK undergraduates are in employment or further study six months after graduation (DLHE 2015/16).
In the top 25 UK universities most targeted by graduate employers (High Fliers Research 2017).
UK leader in social mobility.
Join a university where you can get the support you need to create your own future
- Join a UK leader in social mobility – ensuring access to opportunities to learn are available to all. We’re top in the English Russell Group for admission of students from low participation neighbourhoods, and admission from state schools and colleges
- Stand out from the crowd at one of the top 25 UK universities targeted by graduate employers (High Fliers Research 2017)
- Benefit from our fantastic employment prospects - 91% of our UK undergraduate graduates are in employment or further study within six months (DLHE 2015/16)
- Start your career on the right path – our graduates have the 2nd highest salaries from a north west university five years after graduation (LEO 2017)
- Get support from our Careers & Employability Service – one of the most popular and best used in UK universities
Awarded best Students' Union at the NUS Awards (2016).
£600 million invested in our campus.
Associated with nine Nobel Laureates.
Join a friendly community of learners who will support and inspire you
- Get involved in a wide range of extra-curricular activities – use the My Liverpool website to find out more
- Be supported by our Guild of Students – Number one in the country! (NUS Awards 2016)
- Join a University where, whatever your background, you’ll have the opportunity to shine
One of the most cost effective cities in the UK.
Ranked 4th 'friendliest city' in the world (Rough Guides 2016).
More galleries and museums than any UK city outside London.
Be part of a city with spirit and energy, creativity and beauty - an amazing place to live and study
- Get to know a city that was voted #4 'friendliest city' in the world (Rough Guides 2016)
- Join our fantastic student community of 50,000
- Make your home in our friendly and cost-effective city
- Get out more! Liverpool has a hugely varied music, sports, cultural and social scene
- Be a culture vulture. Liverpool has more art galleries and museums than any other UK city outside London
Member of the Russell Group.
£144 million research project funding allocated (2015/16).
20th in the UK's Research Excellence Framework (REF), with seven subjects in the top 10 (THE 2014).
Play your part in a world where, every day, new discoveries are changing lives
- Join an institution that will challenge you to think beyond the textbook, and apply that knowledge to the world around you
- Learn from academics who are leaders in the field
- Join a research powerhouse where 81% of our research is rated 4* (world leading) or 3* (internationally excellent) (REF 2014)
- Be part of an organisation which is working to tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time, such as personalised medicines, advanced materials for the future, and tackling infectious disease