How do I apply?
To be eligible to apply for/be offered a place on one of our Study Abroad programmes, you must meet the following criteria:
Semester Abroad/ Year 2 @ XJTLU:
- Be in your first year (three year degree programmes and four year degree programmes which include a Year in Industry) or second year (all other four year degree programmes)
- Maintain an average mark across your modules in both Semesters (usually 60%, but this can differ between departments).
- There must be one or more Partner Universities compatible with your degree programm
Year in China:
- You must be in your second year (three year programmes) or third year (four year programmes)
- Maintain an average mark of 40% across your modules in the year preceeding Year in China, with no fails or re-sits
Currently, students studying the following degree programmes are not eligible to apply for the Year in China:
- Health Science programmes
- Graduate Entry Medicine
- Any programmes which already have either a Year Abroad or Year in Industry/Research which takes place in year three of four
- Any programme which includes the study of a Modern Language
- Be in any year of study except final year
- No average mark is required but you must have passed all your modules
Making an application
You can submit applications for more than one type of Study Abroad (e.g. Summer and Semester) but you must submit seperate applications for each.
- Deadline for Semester Abroad, Year 2 @ XJLTU and Year in China Applications: 19 February 2018
- Deadline for Summer Programme applications: 15 March 2018
Before you apply, remember:
- To research the Partner Universities or the scheme you want to apply for carefully. Please note these two very important points:
- For Semester Abroad, Year 2 @ XJTLU and Summer Programmes you should use our search tool to pick eligible universities
- For Semester Abroad. the semester you would attend each University is set centrally owing to term dates (i.e. you cannot choose)
- Attend a Study Abroad event to help you in making your choice. See the events page to find out when and where Study Abroad events are being held
What happens next?
All students will receive notification of the outcome of their application.
For Year in China, as there is no cap on the number of students who can participate, there is no ranking or scoring system - you simply need to meet the eligibility criteria.
For Semester Abroad, Year 2 @ XJTLU and Summer programmes (our competitive schemes), the Study Abroad Team will review all applications. See below for information on how we score, rank and allocate places on these schemes: