Modern Languages (Triple Subject) BA (Hons) Add to your prospectus

  • Offers study abroad opportunities Offers study abroad opportunities

Key information


  • Course length: 4 years
  • UCAS code: T900
  • Year of entry: 2019
  • Typical offer: A-level : ABB / IB : 33, with no score less than 4 / BTEC : Applications considered
Modern-Languages-and-Cultures-3

If you are a good linguist and want to achieve a high level of proficiency in several languages, our flagship multi-language programme will be ideal for you. This is a 100% Single Honours programme and cannot be studied on a 75, 50, or 25% basis; if you would like to focus on one or two of our languages, please see the individual entries for those languages.

Students following Modern Languages (Triple Subject) study at least two languages from advanced level, plus a third language from beginners’ or advanced level. You have the option to begin a new beginners’ language
in second and final year.

In this programme, you may study French from A level; German, Spanish and Italian can be taken from beginners’ or A level; and Catalan, Basque, Chinese and Portuguese can be taken from beginners’ level. You will learn to speak, listen, read, write, translate and interpret to a high level in your chosen languages. There is an emphasis on languages in the context of contemporary culture and society and on their social and professional relevance. In each year of your studies, you will take six language modules (two per language), and choose two optional modules from different language areas.

The programme includes a compulsory year abroad split between at least two of your languages. You may spend the time abroad at a university, as an assistant in a school, or on a work placement. During the time abroad you will complete two essays or portfolios in the appropriate languages or attend an accredited Erasmus+ programme in your chosen country.

Department Key Facts

Number of first year students

141 Year One undergraduates in 2017

UK league tables

Ranked 19th for Modern Languages in the Guardian University Guide 2018

Department resources

The Department has recently moved to a fully-refurbished Grade I listed building in the beautiful Georgian Abercromby Square. We have our own Language Lounge which is stocked with language-learning resources and provides a beautiful and contemplative environment for group work or private study. It has five PCs specialising in language learning programmes. We have our own Modern Language film collection which is available to students for loan.

Research performance

The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) graded 72% of our staff publications as world-leading or internationally excellent with the remaining 28% considered to be of recognised international quality. This ranks us above Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol, Oxford and Exeter.

Why this subject?

Learn a language the Liverpool way

At Liverpool, you can choose which level to learn at with confidence, knowing we are specialists in teaching languages to all levels, from beginners to advanced.

Access new facilities

Our fully-refurbished Language Lounge is the centre of departmental life. It is a lively place where you can work on your language skills with the aid of online resources, watch foreign-language films, meet someone for a chat in your chosen language or simply settle down with "un espresso".

Experience our ‘connected’ Liverpool curriculum

Our teaching is informed by partnerships with organisations across and outside the University. As part of your modules, you may visit an exhibition, deliver a language taster in a school, do an internship in one of our partner organisations, or interview a film maker. Our department routinely organises visits by award-winning writers, directors and translators who will share valuable insights into their work and we recently received a University Learning and Teaching award for enriching the experience of studentsin and beyond the classroom.

Pursue your own adventure

Many of our modules allow you to focus on topics that particularly interest you. For example our language modules often let you choose and research a subject that interests you as part of your assessment, whether a book report or oral presentation. In cultural modules, you can choose or even devise your own essay question.

Broaden your understanding of language and culture with a year abroad

You’ll spend your third year teaching English, attending university, completing a work placement or working for a non-government organisation (NGO) in one or more countries relevant to the language or languages you are studying.