Economics with a Year in Industry BSc (Hons) Add to your prospectus

  • Offers study abroad opportunities Offers study abroad opportunities

Key information


  • Course length: 4 years
  • UCAS code: L101
  • Year of entry: 2018
  • Typical offer: A-level : AAA / IB : 36 with no score less than 4 / BTEC : Applications considered
Economics banner image

If you are interested in why individuals, companies and governments behave in certain ways and want to develop high level quantitative and analytical skills to succeed in a variety of roles, an Economics degree might interest you.

The University of Liverpool Management School is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be AACSB-Accredited.

 Choosing this subject as a Single Honours

  • Be taught the latest economic thinking by highly regarded researchers from around the world
  • Develop specialist analytical skills to understand the complexity behind domestic and international economies
  • Opportunity to gain experience using real-time trading information, economic and financial news in our Bloomberg Trading Floor

The BSc Economics programme develops students’ analytical skills and provides comprehensive training in, and practical application of, the theoretical and quantitative tools used in the study of economics and finance.

You will gain a solid understanding of the current economic and financial issues faced by governments and businesses and the ability to apply econometric models to support these findings in either of our two pathways: Economics or Finance.

On the Year in Industry programme you spend Year Three on placement in industry.

Our graduates successfully find careers as analysts, consultants, researchers, traders and other roles in organisations such as Deloitte, GSK, KPMG, NHS, PwC, as well as specialist investment/economic research firms or pursue postgraduate study.

Links with Professional Bodies

With excellent teaching and quality content the programme is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). Exemptions from various examination papers are available upon successful completion of certain modules.

Choosing this subject as a Major

A Major (75%) Economics programme through Honours Select  provides a strong grounding in the principles of economics and introduction to econometrics with the remaining 25% of modules in your other chosen subject.

Choosing this subject as a Joint

A Joint (50%) Economics programme through Honours Select provides a balance of the basic principles of economics with your other chosen subject with your modules split 50/50 between the two. Please note you cannot trade up to Major or Single Honours when applying for Economics as part of a joint course.

Department Key Facts

Number of first year students

655 Year One undergraduates across all programmes in 2015

Facts and figures

Accreditation from professional bodies across all our programmes

Why this subject?

Enhance your employability with our co-curricular programme

With the Management School’s unique 'ULMS Extra' programme you will go beyond the core curriculum and have the opportunity to develop your employability and personal networks by participating in specially designed activities, business societies and business competitions.

Reach your full potential

Our committed Student Support team is available to provide learning and development opportunities such as study skills sessions, placement advice, study abroad opportunities and pastoral support to help get the most of your student life and prepare you for the global workplace.

Benefit from our range of industry links and research expertise

We have outstanding links with private and public sector organisations as well as leading academics conducting cutting-edge research which helps shape our innovative curriculum to ensure that you develop knowledge and skills grounded in the real world. 

Gain a global perspective

With a vibrant international learning community you’ll be exposed to business ideas and cultures from the UK and beyond, drawing on a long tradition of commercial acumen in one of the world's truly global cities, still at the heart of international trade and interaction. 

Take advantage of innovative teaching methodologies

Modules are taught using the latest active learning techniques including business simulations, real-world case studies, social media, interactive participation software, lecture capture and real-time financial and business data using our Bloomberg Trading Floor.  

Tailor your studies to suit your interests and career aspirations

Our programmes offer flexibility, choice and opportunities allowing you to pursue your career and life aspirations. See what our current students think about their studies and what some of our graduates are doing now.