Admissions for International Applicants
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
This page explains what a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is and why you need one.
- To apply for a new student visa, you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (known as a CAS). This is issued electronically by the University of Liverpool during late Spring. A CAS is valid for six months from the date of issue.
- The CAS is a unique reference number which links you to the University of Liverpool.
- A CAS cannot be used to apply for a visa until three months prior to the start of your academic course, but you can start to prepare your visa application before this date.
- Please note that a CAS can only be used once. If your visa is refused and you must apply again, you will need a new CAS (see below).
- Central Admissions will provide you with a CAS statement that includes your CAS number and all your personal details and academic details.
- The CAS is stored electronically on a central database at the Home Office and contains information about you, your course, payments of fees and also information about the University of Liverpool.
How to get your CAS
If you are a current University of Liverpool student:
- Contact Student Administration and Support via email to request a new CAS; firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a new student:
- To obtain your CAS you must accept your unconditional offer for the University of Liverpool in writing via email and pay a non-refundable tuition fee deposit (for postgraduate taught applicants). Please visit the following page for information about deposit exemptions; International study page on fee deposits.
- You must have provided a copy of a valid passport, either with your application, or subsequently during the application process.
- If you have declared previous UK study on your application to the University of Liverpool, we may write to you for further information. A CAS will not be issued until you respond. Please see information about the 5 year study limit on the International Advice and Guidance webpage.
- Your CAS will normally be emailed to you. It is acceptable for you to print this CAS statement to support your visa application.
- The CAS will list the qualifications used by the University of Liverpool to offer you your place on the course
- or any queries relating to your CAS please contact the Admissions Team via email. Their email address can be found in your offer email and in your CAS emails.
- For queries about applying for a visa, please contact our International Advice and Guidance Team - International Advice and Guidance
What to do if there is an error on your CAS?
If after obtaining your CAS you notice a mistake (for example, your personal or academic details are incorrect) or there is a change in your circumstances (for example you make a tuition fee payment) you must inform the University so that the CAS can be updated before you submit your new visa application.
If information changes on your CAS, an electronic update will be made to the UK Home Office system but you will not receive a new CAS statement as the existing one is still valid, and has been updated.
If you have had your visa refused and need a new CAS:
Please email the Admissions Team to request this:
- Undergraduate – email@example.com
- Postgraduate – firstname.lastname@example.org
- UoLIC – email@example.com
Include your full name, student ID and copies of your visa refusal documents. The Admissions Team will liaise with the International Advice and Guidance Team to assess whether a second CAS can be issued.
We recommend that you do not book another visa appointment until you have received a new CAS.