Admissions for International Applicants

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

This page explains what a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is and why you need one.

  • To apply for a new student visa, you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (known as a CAS). This is issued by the University of Liverpool during late Spring.  Any CAS that is issued cannot be used to apply for a visa until three months prior to the start of your academic course.
  • Please note that a CAS can only be used once. If your visa is refused and you must apply again, you will need a new CAS.
  • The CAS is a unique reference number which links you to the University of Liverpool.
  • Central Admissions will provide you with a CAS statement that includes your CAS number and all your personal details and academic details.
  • The CAS is stored on a central database at the Home Office and contains information about you, your course, any payments for fees and also information about the University of Liverpool.
  • If after obtaining your CAS you notice a mistake (for example, your personal or academic details are incorrect) or there is a change in your circumstances (for example you make a tuition fee payment) you must inform the University so that the CAS can be updated before you submit your new visa application. 
  • If information changes on your CAS an update will be made but you will not receive a new CAS statement as this is not needed to apply for your visa.

How to get your CAS

If you are a new student:

  • To obtain your CAS you must accept your unconditional offer for the University of Liverpool in writing, either via email or letter and pay a tuition fee deposit, there are exceptions to this, for full details please see our visit the International study page on fee deposits
  • Your CAS will normally be emailed to you. It is acceptable for you to print this CAS statement as the CAS statement is not a mandatory supporting document.
  • The CAS will list the qualifications used by the University of Liverpool to offer you your place on the course.
  • You MUST include evidence of these qualifications with your application form. The evidence must be in the form of original documents.
  • International Advice and Guidance recommend that you apply for your Tier 4 visa as soon as you receive your CAS, even if you already hold a student visa.
  • For any queries relating to CAS please contact

Credibility Interviews

Some international applicants may be required to attend a credibility interview once they arrive in the UK. 

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

If you need Entry Clearance to study in the UK, you will also be legally required to provide an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.

It is your responsibility to check if this scheme applies to you. Find out more about this scheme on our ATAS page.