As well as creating opportunities for our students, we are committed to making our ground-breaking research and frontier technologies available to our collaborators, for the benefit of the regional and national economies.
We are driving the city’s knowledge economy through close collaboration with fellow universities, industry and the NHS, helping the Liverpool City Region compete in the global business world.
And, we have been instrumental in the Knowledge Quarter Development, which aims to bring together key city partners to collaborate and close the economic gap with London.
The Knowledge Quarter Liverpool will:
- be made up of 450 acres and will include the Materials Innovation Factory, Sensor City and the new Liverpool International College complex
- support programmes to invest in the 54,000 students across the Liverpool region
- deliver £1bn in income and 14,000 jobs to the city region.
Other recent initiatives have included:
- the £68million Materials Innovation Factory (MIF), funded by HEFCE, Unilever and the University co-locates academia and industry, providing unparalleled facilities and a dynamic support infrastructure aiming to revolutionise research and development in materials chemistry and enhance competitive advantage across a range of sector.
- The £15 million ‘Sensor City’ innovation centre, a joint venture between the University of Liverpool and Liverpool John Moores University located in the Copperas Hill redevelopment seeks to generate business start-ups, support application of innovative sensor technologies, and integrate the existing Liverpool academic base in this field
- The University collaboration with Tate Liverpool, a strong multidisciplinary partnership delivering impact in the arts by underpinning planned exhibitions with academic research, increasing impact reach through public engagement and improving employability through internships and continued education
- Liverpool Bio Innovation Hub (LBIH) a £20.47 million incubator for small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) working in the area of Personalised Medicines.
Back to: Study