This new postgraduate course* offers you the unique opportunity to join a cutting–edge MSc programme created in conjunction with industry and delivered as a joint venture with the University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moore’s University and Sensor City.
*Please note that this MSc is still subject to University approval.
Sensor technology has grown significantly in the last decade and has a huge impact on all areas of technology. It has become integrated within the manufacturing, healthcare and automotive industries, in addition to emerging sectors including smart buildings, smart grids and integrated energy systems.
- Global market for sensor systems is currently worth over $490 billion globally
- The sensor technology market is growing by over 10% each year
- In the last decade 1 in 3 global patents were sensor related
Sensor City is a bespoke new facility in the city of Liverpool, bringing together expertise from academia, industry and over 100 local companies. It is a vibrant community focused on research and enterprise expertise to create and develop new ideas in sensor technology and enterprise for commercial production www.sensorcity.co.uk
The sensor technologies industry requires more engineers worldwide with knowledge, expertise and entrepreneurial skills to develop innovative solutions for this fast-paced industry.
This innovative new MSc will develop your relevant engineering expertise to understand, design and implement sensor systems across a range of industrial sectors. In addition, enterprise coaching will develop the understanding and knowledge for taking innovations from inception to market.
During the MSc, you will:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of sensor related technologies and their uses in the wide variety of industries including automotive, healthcare, transport, building and energy.
- Gain knowledge and skills in product design and service idea creation in relation to sensors, sensor systems and networks, communication and control technologies.
- Develop managerial methods and entrepreneurial skills in collaboration with industry partners.
- Learn the art of selling and the science of negotiation, for those interested in starting and running their own business or ‘selling in’ a new idea or concept to existing companies.
You will undertake a range of theoretical and practical elements including traditional lectures, hands-on laboratories, seminars, workshops and engagement with industry. You will also have the opportunity to work on a significant project, in conjunction with industry, bringing together the themes of sensor technology and enterprise through the process of innovative research and development.
The unique features of this programme enable you to qualify with a master's qualification as well as having developed a concept that can be taken forward post-graduation, enabling you to continue working with industry, start your own business or start commercial production.
The programme runs from September and is set over a period of two years to enable sufficient time for knowledge and idea development.
Why Sensor City?
State-of-the-art facilities, including Sensor City and industry standard laboratories
We have specialist facilities including Sensor City, the new 2500m2 purpose-built state-of-the-art facility in Liverpool city centre offering the technical expertise, business support and physical space for developing sensor technologies. Sensor City includes Technology development zones, open innovation labs, entrepreneurship coaching and business mentoring and access to funding opportunities.
A leading centre for electrical and electronic engineering expertise
We are closely involved with over 50 prominent companies and research organisations worldwide, many of which not only fund and collaborate with us but also make a vital contribution to developing our students.