Due to the impact of COVID-19 we're changing how the course is delivered
Scholarship opportunity from ScottishPower Foundation
Apply now for this scholarship, which meets full enrolment costs and provides a generous monthly living allowance of £1,200.
This programme is focused on developing high level student understanding of the physical environment, and how society interacts with it. Considerable flexibility exists affording applicants the opportunity to develop their own postgraduate degree programme; the degree draws on expertise from across the School of Environmental Sciences.
Optional modules allow you the flexibility to develop expertise in the following areas:
• Techniques for quantifying long-term and recent environmental change, including a wide range of key paleoenvironmental methods (lab and field-based)
• Methods of contemporary environmental monitoring, including urban air pollution and sea level rise
• Applied conservation biology
• Geographical Information Science (GIS), taught by our Data Science Lab
• Environmental assessment, including theoretical training and application in a client-led project
• The relationship between politics, business and the environment.
A variety of assessment approaches are used including, oral and poster presentations, reports, essays and field notebooks. Teaching is provided in a range of environments and formats, including field, seminars, lectures, small group and laboratory.
For a Diploma, students will complete and be assessed on eight months of work. For the MSc, an additional four months will be spent preparing and submitting a dissertation based either on a research project or a placement with an appropriate institution.
Case Study: Natascia Pannozzo
"Classes can take place in an ordinary laboratory or lecture theatre or on a raft in the middle of a lake"!
Read Natascia's full case study
We’ve exceptional academic staff with expertise in a range of areas:
- Geographies of Population and the Lifecourse
- Globalisation, Development and Place
- advanced Environmental Analytical Techniques
- the study of Environmental and Climate Change.