Finance and funding

Fees cover the cost of your tuition, registration, examinations (but not resits) and graduation. These pages cover everything you need to know about fees and finance including:

Postgraduate Loan

If you plan to take a postgraduate master’s course you may be able to get a Government Master's Loan to help with course fees and living costs.

Applications for loans to study in 2022 will be opening soon, please check the Government Master's Loan page for more information. 

Applications for loans to study in 2021 are now open. You can apply here.

  • You can apply for the loan to study a taught, research or professional master's programme e.g. MA, MSc, LLM, MRes, MBA, MARM, MCD of up to £11,570
  • You can study full or part-time (with a minimum intensity of 50% full-time)
  • The loan can be used towards tuition fees and/or any other costs associated with study, including your living costs
  • You're eligible for the loan if you're studying one of our on-campus master's programmes or a master's programme delivered by distance learning
  • You must be under the age of 60 to be eligible to apply for the loan
  • You must be a UK national, or have a settled status in the UK, and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years on the first day of the academic year of your course start date
  • If you are ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland you are not eligible for this loan.  However, loans are now available for Scottish students via Student Awards Agency Scotland, Welsh students via Student Finance Wales and Northern Irish students via Student Finance Northern Ireland
  • You may be eligible if you are an EU national or family member of an EU national, or hold certain other defined statuses
  • The loan is not means tested
  • The loan will be issued directly to you in three instalments
  • Repayments will commence when you're earning £21,000 or above will be calculated at 6% of income above the income threshold. 
  • The loan will be issued by the Student Loans Company and will be recovered by Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (HMRC).

Fee status

Levels of fees and eligibility for studentships or funding depend upon whether you are classified as a 'Home', 'EU' or an 'Overseas' (that is, international) student. Home students are people who are 'settled' in the UK as defined by the Immigration Act 1971 and have been 'ordinarily resident' in the United Kingdom throughout the three years immediately preceding the beginning of the programme. 'Ordinary Residence' does not include residence partly or wholly for the purpose of receiving full-time education. Certain persons may be exempt from the 'ordinary residence' requirement, eg:

  • Certain nationals of member states of the European Union
  • Persons recognised as refugees, their spouses and children
  • Persons who can satisfy the University that their inability to fulfil the ordinary residence requirement was solely because they, their spouses or their parents were temporarily employed abroad 
  • Persons who have been granted 'Exceptional Leave to Remain' or 'Exceptional Leave to Enter' the UK, as a result of a failed asylum application.

Tuition fees

Home (UK)

The University's tuition fees are normally fixed at yearly intervals and follow Government guidelines. Tuition fees for full-time postgraduate taught UK students for the session 2021-22 can be found here.  Tuition fees for full-time postgraduate taught UK students for the session 2022-23 can be found here.  

International students (including EU)

International students are required to pay the full costs of their tuition in the UK with each university setting its own international fees. The University of Liverpool’s fees represent excellent value for money for a Russell Group University. How much you pay as an International postgraduate student depends on your programme of study. For full details, see our international fees for postgraduates pages.

Online fees

Fees for online programmes can be found on the Online Programme pages

Payment of fees

The University requires payment of tuition fees at registration for the whole of the coming academic session or for the duration of a programme that is to be completed in less than a year. However, arrangements can be made for self-supporting students to pay their tuition fees in instalments.

All instalments must be arranged with the Student Administration and Support Division. If you hold a scholarship or studentship, the awarding body should provide the Student Fees section of the Student Administration and Support Division with an acceptable guarantee of payment.

If you expect to be sponsored please ensure that your sponsors understand fully their responsibilities for your fees and maintenance and that they are prepared to honour them for the duration of your studies in Liverpool.

If your sponsor does not provide an acceptable guarantee of payment, or defaults on their guarantee, you will become responsible for the payment of fees yourself. Unfortunately, the University is not able to provide financial aid or waive fees for students whose arrangements for financial support fail during the period of their studies.

Transfer funds from abroad

International students will need to ensure that they can bring sufficient funds with them for living expenses, as well as for payment of fees, or have sufficient funds sent to them in instalments throughout the year. Students from countries which operate strict foreign exchange controls should make sure that permission can be obtained for the transmission of adequate funds.

Living expenses

The recommended maintenance budget to cover the costs of accommodation, meals, clothing, transport and other personal expenditure for a single person is around £6,500 to £7,500 per year depending on your lifestyle.

The recommended minimum budget for a husband and wife without children is £12,500 for a year; you should allow an additional £2,000 for each child.

Study costs

We want to try and help you prepare for the day-to-day costs of studying. These might include things like photocopying in the library, buying textbooks and specialist equipment or going on field classes. We have put together tables of additional costs for guidance, for each subject area, including where departments make contributions towards these costs. See our study costs page.