Information for Employers CPD Degree Apprenticeships

Information for employers

Our programmes will help your employees to bring ideas and up-to-date knowledge and skills back into the workplace.

Apprentices will undertake academically rigorous, part-time study that is built around your business. 

Delivered under a blended learning model, apprentice students will benefit from a minimum of 20% of their working time being spent in off-the-job learning, whether on campus in lectures, seminars and practical workshops, or accessed online through remote learning.

We will work with local, regional and national businesses to understand your strategic priorities and challenges. Our programmes will be built to offer real value which can be tailored to a sector, or even developed bespoke to your own business.

Improve the knowledge and skills of your workforce through degree apprenticeships. You can work with us to shape a course for your employees to address your organisation's needs.

Your apprentice will learn in a research environment and be taught by academics who are specialists in their fields. Our research strengths and teaching excellence are ranked among the best in the UK.

A Degree Apprenticeship is an alternative pathway into work-based learning. Under the scheme, apprentices, gain a degree alongside practical skills developed in the workplace.

Employer Benefits

Integrating University and workplace-based education and training has benefits for the business and the apprentices. The skills of staff are developed to meet business priorities, and the apprentices benefit from a university education while earning a salary. Direct Benefits include:

  • Learning tailored to your organisation's strategic issues and priorities.
  • A recruitment and retention tool for new recruits and existing staff.
  • Guidance on how to get the most from your investment in the apprenticeship levy.

Why work with us?

A member of the Russell Group, the University of Liverpool has a campus in China.

Combining our excellent, TEF Silver award teaching with our outstanding research capabilities and world leading campuses and facilities presents a compelling case both for talent attraction and for retaining and developing existing staff within your business.

Our apprenticeship programmes align with the apprenticeship standards designed by employers to ensure they develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours your business needs. We create them in partnership with you to meet your needs and the needs of your employees.

When it comes to Degree Apprenticeships, the University of Liverpool is here to guide you through the whole process. We will:

  • take care of the administration and management of the apprenticeship to ensure the process goes smoothly and successfully
  • provide flexible delivery options to work around your business needs
  • work in partnership with you to ensure you’re involved in the programme design and delivery
  • provide you with a dedicated team who are approachable and easy to work with
  • offer opportunities for you to collaborate and network with other employers within and beyond your sector.

What is the Apprenticeship Levy?

The apprenticeships levy is a government initiative that funds the development and delivery of apprenticeships. Funding for apprenticeships is generated through the levy, introduced in April 2017. Businesses in England with a pay bill of £3m or more, pay a 0.5% levy on that pay bill which can only be spent on apprenticeship training.

The levy gives employers more control to tailor the development to their own needs and challenges.

Get in touch with our team to find out how we can help your organisation to get the most from the levy.

Non-levy paying employers

Employers who do not pay the levy can benefit from significant government funding to support their commitment to apprenticeships, through the apprenticeship co-investment model. If an employer has not paid the levy and would like to train an apprentice, they will need to co-invest 10% of the programme and assessment costs, with government funding covering the remaining 90% of the cost. Non-levy paying employers working with LJMU as their Degree Apprenticeship training provider do not need to apply to the government for access to the co-investment model, the University will manage the co-investment funding directly with the ESFA.

For further information on apprenticeship funding, please see the government’s website.

Employers Degree Apprenticeships CPD masters MSc

Back to: Study