Visiting Study Abroad

If you are from a university that is not one of our partner universities, then you can apply to the University of Liverpool as a visiting (i.e. fee-paying) Study Abroad student.

To find out more about the University, the City of Liverpool and what we can offer you, take a look at our Liverpool Life page.

Please note that all applications from visiting Study Abroad students are strictly subject to approval by our academic departments. We encourage visiting Study Abroad students to choose modules from a maximum of two departments, in order to minimise timetable clashes.

Wherever possible, we strongly encourage students to select two departments within the same school.

For information, the University’s academic structure is as follows:

  • Faculty
  • School
  • Department

The exception to this two department recommendation is students applying to modules from only the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS). Students applying only for HSS-based modules can choose from any departments/schools within the Faculty, as long as all classes are the same level (i.e. all year 1, 2 or 3).

Entry requirements for visiting Study Abroad students

  • You must have a GPA (or equivalent) of 3.0 or above.
  • You can be in any year of study. Please note however that we strongly discourage students from coming to Liverpool in their final year, unless they come for semester one only.
  • You must be able to cover living costs and the Study Abroad tuition fee. For the academic year 2017/18, the Study Abroad tuition fees are:
    • Non-EU Nationals undergraduate: £12,495 for a full year and £6,825 for one semester only
    • EU Nationals: £9000 for a full year and £4,500 for one semester only
  • Non-native speakers of English must have a minimum level of English ability. We accept, amongst others, the following qualifications:
QualificationScience and EngineeringHumanities and Social Sciences
IELTS 6.0 with minimum of 5.5 in each component 6.5 with minimum of 5.5 in each component

Cambridge English:
Advanced and Cambridge

169 with 162 in each component 176 with a minumum of 162 in each component

EU students only*

B2 B2
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) 55 with minimum score of 51 in any component 62 with minimum scores of 51 in each component

*A letter from your University confirming your ability under the Common European Framework (CEF).

For a full list of the acceptable English Language qualifications, please see our English Language entry requirements page.

For guidance on reference requirements please refer to the website for further details.

If you don't reach the minimum English requirements above, you may be able to apply for a Pre-Sessional English programme. Please contact us for further informaiton.

How to apply as a visiting Study Abroad student

In order to apply as a Visiting Study Abroad student you need to follow the instructions found on our how to apply page. Visiting Study Abroad students applying through one of our approved agents will be assisted with completing the online application form.

Along with all the supporting documents listed, you should also provide evidence of financial standing (e.g. letter of sponsorship from your home University or bank statements) which cover living costs and the Study Abroad tuition fee.

Please note that you must select Visiting (fee paying) Student in the online application.