The University of Liverpool has a long tradition of welcoming students from the USA and we typically have around 100 American students on campus at any one time.

UK and US Higher Education systems

The UK and US Higher Education systems are very similar, with only two main differences:


Undergraduate students take nearly all of their courses in their major right from the start of their course. At graduate level, programmes continue to be more specialised than in the US. For example, whereas US students might follow a Masters degree in English Literature, Liverpool programmes focus on a particular area such as Victorian Literature.

Shorter duration

Completing a UK Bachelor degree usually takes only three years. A Masters degree typically lasts for one full year. PhD programmes are usually three years in length.

Entry requirements

Study Abroad

We run undergraduate exchange programmes with the University of Illinois and Boston College, and receive Study Abroad students from other US universities. See below for more details.

You should have a good academic record at your home university. We look for a GPA of 3.0 or better. Find out more about studying abroad.


High School Diploma with a GPA of 3.0 or above

  • plus either *SAT I Reasoning Test at 1290+ (minimum Math Section 620+ Evidence-Based Reading and Writing 660+) or ACT Composite Score at 27 or above
  • plus either at least three *SAT Subject Tests with a minimum score of 650 each or at least three Group A APs at grades four or above.

Some of our courses will require SAT Subject Tests / APs in specific areas. Please contact our country manager for further details. We will consider 2 Group A APs and 2 Group B APs or a combination of AP and SAT Subject Tests

We accept the International Baccalaureate Diploma with a minimum of 28 points. Students offering a good GPA after completing the first year of an undergraduate programme at an American university are also welcome to apply through UCAS (UK's Common Application) at

Postgraduate Taught

Students offering a Bachelor's degree from an American university are welcome to apply for a Masters programme. For most programmes we look for a GPA of at least 3.0.

Postgraduate Research

Each application is assessed on its own merits, however students will usually be expected to hold a Masters degree. Previous exposure to research or thesis writing is highly desirable.

Preparation programmes

Liverpool International College offers Foundation and Pre-Master's courses to international students who don't meet the university's minimum entry requirements. Find out more on the college's website