Student Health

You will find a range of health services in and around the University, including an on-campus General Practice and a drop-in health advice centre at the Carnatic halls of residence.

The Student Health Centre

The Student Health Centre, run by Brownlow Health is based in the University's Student Services Centre and provides dedicated student health services. This is a full-time general practice, with surgeries held every week day, all year round.

Appointments can be pre-booked, or you can attend the daily walk-in service, which is nurse led.

Student Health Advice Centre (SHAC)

SHAC is open during term time and is situated at the Halls of Residence on Carnatic Site, Mossley Hill. The centre offers a full range of nursing services including contraception, sexual health screening, health advice, minor injuries and the management of chronic diseases such as asthma and diabetes.

All students may use the facilities at SHAC whether resident in Carnatic Halls or not.

Please refer to the Brownlow Health website for information regarding opening times.

Sports Injury Clinic

If you are a member of a Sports Club, one of the benefits of membership is access to the Sports Injuries Clinic. Our qualified and experienced sports physiotherapists provide an excellent service at no extra cost. The Clinic which is located in Student Health is open during term at the following times:

Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 5.30pm to 7.30pm

How to Book an Appointment?

You can book in person at Student Health reception, please produce your AU membership card/AU number when booking.

First Session

As with all sessions individuals are asked to arrive for their first session 10 minutes before the time booked to assist with the process of information gathering. You must produce an up to date AU membership card when asked prior to your session by our physiotherapists.

Note: AU members do not have to be registered with Student Health to access this service.

Non-UK students

If you are an EU resident, or from a country with a reciprocal health programme, you will receive free health treatment irrespective of the length of your study.

If you are an international student from outside the EU and your programme lasts more than six months, you will be eligible for treatment under the National Health Service. If your programme is shorter than six months you are advised to seek appropriate medical cover.

For further information on any of these services, please consult our website or contact the Student Health Service Reception 0151 285 4578.