Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

How to apply for an ATAS certificate, mandatory check for some international offer holders for certain Post-Graduate qualifications.

This includes current students who wish to change programmes from a non-ATAS programme to an ATAS programme.

If you require a visa to study in the UK and are not an exempt national, the ATAS certificate must be submitted with your visa/extension application. It will also be used in registering you in your department.

Visit the University ATAS pages for more information and advice about ATAS, and to find out if you need to apply.

We recommend you apply for the ATAS certificate well in advance of your visa extension application. It can take up to 30 working days or six weeks to process (and in some cases, longer than this).

The certificate will expire after six months from issue so you must ensure you apply for your visa while the certificate is valid.

Your ATAS certificate will need to be re-issued if there is a significant change in your course or research including changes to the end date of more than three months.

If you are required to obtain a new ATAS certificate and you already have an existing valid visa you will not need to apply for a new visa.

If you do need a new visa because you no longer have enough time to complete your course, you must reapply for ATAS and submit this new ATAS certificate with your visa application.

The ATAS certificate itself is processed free of charge.

Please note, the following nationals are exempt from ATAS:

  • EU nationals
  • EEA nationals
  • Swiss
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • USA.

Further help and advice

If you have any questions relating to ATAS please email

Speak to a International Advice and Guidance advisor

If you are unable to find an answer to your query on our web pages email or book an online confidential one-one appointment.