Financial support for international students

Information about financial support that may be available to international students.

As an international student, your entry to study in the UK is granted on the basis that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and/or your family if you bring them with you. You are not allowed to claim most state benefits.

If you are coming to study in the UK for the first time, you will need a minimum amount of money for your living expenses to get your visa, but you may need more depending on your lifestyle.

Making sure your finances are in order also ensures that your stay with us is happy and successful. Doing this before you arrive is important because it is difficult, if not impossible, to arrange financial support once you have left your own country.

Financial help

If you are having financial difficulties caused by an unexpected change in your personal, political situation or by a crisis of some kind please contact us and we will be able to advise of any assistance that may be available.

All student enquiries will be dealt with on an individual and confidential basis.

Students who are being sponsored by a government or other organisation sometimes face difficulties if payments are stopped or delayed for reasons beyond their control. We can sometimes assist with applications for small, short-term loans in these circumstances.


Please note that it is almost impossible to find a scholarship or sponsorship once you have started studying in the UK.

Information on scholarships for international students is available on the study web pages.

Working while studying

It may be possible for you to get a part-time job while you are studying. Find out more about working during your studies.

Charity assistance

It may be possible for you to obtain additional financial help by applying to a charity.

It is important to realise the charities are there to help people; the use of charity assistance is not embarrassing or dishonourable. The important thing to remember is the successful completion of your studies - don't let all of your hard work go to waste.

IAG have a list of local and national trusts and charities that may be able to help with small contributions for this in financial crisis. For more information and a copy of the list please email

Please remember that the charities we list will not consider providing you with more than small emergency grants and do not provide scholarships or sponsorships. The money provided by charities is to help you complete your studies by providing money for daily living.

Read through each page to find which charities may be suitable for you to apply to.

When making a request for financial assistance from the charities, you may be required to provide one or more references. We suggest you ask your personal tutor or supervisor to act as a reference.

UK banks do not usually give loans to international students however, it is worth asking your bank if they would be willing to do this.


Speak to a International Advice and Guidance advisor

If you are unable to find an answer to your query on our web pages email or book an online confidential one-one appointment.