Financial support for care leavers

Information about what financial support may be available if you are a care leaver.

Starting University can be both exciting and daunting. At the University of Liverpool, we are committed to supporting care leaver students before you start university as well as during your course. We understand that, as students, you may face some academic, financial and emotional challenges. We are here to help and can offer a range of support to make the transition to university life easier.

Martina Ferrari is the dedicated Wellbeing Advisor who can help with any aspect of your University experience. If you identify as a Care Leaver or Care Experienced student, you can contact her at You will be invited to an initial meeting at the beginning of your studies to discuss all support available, so feel free to bring any queries and concerns you need help with. As part of our support package, Martina will contact you at different times during the year to provide general support as well as advice about our Care Leaver's Opportunity Bursary.

The University of Liverpool is taking part in the Government Care Leaver Covenant programme to provide extra support and opportunities to care leavers: University of Liverpool - Care Leaver Covenant (

Applying for our university?

When applying for our university, you will work closely with our Widening Participation Team. They will help you think about progressing onto higher education, and can support you during your exams and transition to becoming an undergraduate.  For further information contact Ben Toleman on

Not sure if you are a Care Leaver?

A Care Leaver is any individual who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more which span their 16th birthday (Leaving Care Act 2000). A care experienced student is someone who has spent an amount of time under local authority care (e.g. foster care or residential children’s homes) who may not meet the definition of a care leaver. 

Financial support to help with accommodation guarantor scheme fee

Funding is available through the University Hardship Fund to help students who are care experienced or estranged in cases where they are unable to provide a guarantor for their accommodation provider. If you do need to use a Rent Guarantor Service to secure your property, you should initially speak to your University contact within Advice and Guidance: . You can then apply to the UHF:

Speak to a Money Advice and Guidance advisor

If you are unable to find an answer to your query on our web pages email or book an online confidential one-one appointment.