Over many years I have worked, in a range of ways, with numerous external partners, from a broad range of industry, charity, local and national governmental and public service delivery organisations. In addition to the various specific research-related activities I have been involved with (please see Grants) I have engaged with various organisations by way of advocacy, advisory, and other support roles.
Specific external roles/positions I have held or currently hold are:
Oct 2018 - Adjunct Professor, School of Justice, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Jan 2018 - Adjunct Professor, Griffith Criminology Institute, Griffith University, Brisbane & Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Jan 2014 - Member of the reconstituted ACMD (Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs) Working Group on Polysubstance Use.
Oct 2014 - Invitation to attend Private Roundtable: New Psychoactive Substances (NPS) - Wednesday 8th October. United Services Institute (RUSI) in London. RUSI and the UK Cabinet Office.
Sept 2011 - Sept 2014 - Honorary Consultant in Public Health (NHS Plymouth).
Nov 2013 - New Psychoactive Substances Group – Plymouth City Council, UK
Oct 2011 - Member Plymouth Alcohol Champions Group – Group with an aim to ‘champion’ effective interventions to reduce alcohol harm in the city
Sept 2011 - Advisory: SOCA (Serious Organised Crime Agency) Public Accountability Forum
July 2011 - Advisory: Member of the ACMD (Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs) Working Group on Polysubstance Use.
April 2001 - Member of the Department of Health/Health Development Agency Working Group to review current research on prevention in the field of drug use.
June 2001 - June 2002 - Visiting Research Fellow – National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Emerald Studies in Digital Crime, Technology and Social Harms book series, Emerald Publishing Ltd (Editorial Board Members , 2019 - present)
- International Journal For Crime, Justice & Social Democracy (Editorial Board Member, 2016 - present)
- International Criminal Justice Review (Associate Editor, 2014 - present)
- International Journal of Drug Policy (Editorial Board Member, 2012 - present)
- Sociological Research Online (Editorial Board Member, 2012 - 2015)
- Contemporary Drug Problems (Editorial Board Member, 2010 - present)
- Sociological Research Online (Co-Editor, 2009 - 2012)
- Methodological Innovations (Joint Editor in Chief (and co-founder), 2005 - present)
- Sociological Research Online (Editorial Board Member, 2004 - 2007)
- Addiction Research and Theory (Editorial Board Member, 2003 - present)
- Internet Journal of Criminology (Editorial Board Member, 2003 - 2017)
- The Qualitative Report (Editorial Board Member, 2003 - 2010)
- Journal of Drug Issues (Editorial Board Member, 1998 - 2015)
- Journal of Performance Enhancing Drugs (Editorial Board Member, 1996 - 1999)
- International Journal of Drug Policy (Editorial Board Member, 1995 - 1999)
- Utrecht University, PhD (2018)
- Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia, PhD (2016)
- Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, PhD (2016)
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. External Reader (PhD Milestone Committee) 2015 - , PhD (2015)
- Swinburn University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia , PhD (2014)
- University of Essex, PhD (2013)
- University of the West of England, PhD (2012)
- Curtin University, Perth, Australia , PhD (2010)
- Queens University Belfast, PhD (2007)
- Manchester Metropolitan University, PhD (2007)
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, University of London (Transferred from Imperial College, University of London in 2006). Lead examiner 2005 - 2009, MSc (PGT, 2005)
- Kings College, University of London, PhD (2001)
Professional Body Memberships
- American Society of Criminology (Member, 2014 - present)
- Australian & New Zealand Society of Criminology (Member, 2014 - 2017)
- European Society for Social Drug Research (Member, 2012 - present)
- British Sociological Association (Member, 2009 - 2012)