Prof. Vinod Chohan
|Name|| Vinod Chohan
CH-1211 Geneva 23
|Phone|| +41 (0) 22 76 72 719
+41 (0) 76 487 09 57
|Fax||+41 (0) 22 76 69 179|
Professor Vinod Chohan obtained first class honours in Electrical Engineering from University College , Cardiff , (University of Wales) and Ph.D from the University of Essex, Colchester.
He has been Senior Staff Member at CERN over 30 years with career directions that have been largely mission-oriented, deadline-driven, in various technical and management roles for the CERN’s Accelerators.
Before joining the QUASAR Group he has held positions in various accelerator related fields including beam diagnostics, instrumentation, accelerator studies, improvements & performance, controls and safety, including radiation safety.
- For the more recent Higgs Boson discovery at CERN in 2012 & the 2013 Physics Nobel Prize, he contributed significantly to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Project, particularly for the testing, measuring & training of all the superconducting magnets for the 27 km circumference Collider. He led the team which, over 7 years, fully tested, qualified, & trained up to 13 kA these cryo-magnets for the designed nominal operation @ 11850 A. In this context, he has featured in London Science Museum’s Big Bang exhibition in 2007, BBC Horizon Series film with Prof. Brian Cox in 2008 as well as in interviews with Nik Gowing of the BBC World Service TV Hub programme (2008 & 2012). There have also been a number of TV News, Documentaries & Newspaper articles in India regarding his work as well with a Google Hang-out in California in 2012.
- He was part of the team that led to discovery of the W & Z Bosons in 1983 at CERN & the Nobel Prize in Physics; He was the Accelerator Operation Coordinator for the CERN’s Antiproton Accumulator and was closely associated with S. Van der Meer, who shared that prize.
He has had extended professional stays at:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Batavia, Illinois, USA for the commissioning of the Fermilab’s antiproton source machines in 1985 and 1986,
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA in 1990 as scientific collaborator for the Proton Storage Ring
- Centre For Advanced Technology, Indore, India, 1993 for the organization of the first ever CERN accelerator school in India as a lecturer on Beam Diagnostics systems and controls.
- He has been a Member of the Joint CERN-Dept of Atomic Energy, India Committee for CERN-India Collaboration
- He was elected as Member, IEE in 1981 and as Fellow, Institution of Engineering Technology (IET, formerly IEE) in Nov.2013