If you’re a UK student planning to begin a master’s course, you may qualify for a postgraduate loan from the Government. Applications for 2023 entry open from May 2023.
The loan covers taught, research or professional master's programmes. For courses starting in 2022/23, the amount is £11,836. For 2023/24, students will be eligible for up to £12,167. The loan can be used towards tuition fees and/or any other costs associated with study, including your living costs.
You're eligible for the loan if:
- You study one of our on-campus master's programmes or a master's programme delivered by distance learning
- You’re a UK national
- You have settled status in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years on the first day of the academic year of your course start date
- Are under 60 years of age.
The loan is:
- Not means tested
- Issued directly to you in three instalments
- Repayable when you’re earning above the income threshold and will be calculated at 6% of income.
Visit the UK Government website for more detailed information about Postgraduate Master’s Loans
If you're ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you're not eligible for this loan. Check your country's website to see if you're eligible for any other financial help:
You may be eligible if you're an EU national or family member of an EU national, or hold certain other defined statuses.
Back to: Postgraduate taught