Terms and Conditions
1) About the competition
- The Ness Botanic Gardens Photography Competition (‘the Competition’) is owned and organised by the University of Liverpool acting through Ness Botanic Gardens (‘NBG’)
- The Competition is open to all amateur and professional photographers. Amateur and professional entries will not be judged separately.
- The Competition is free to enter.
2) The Categories
2.1 Adults categories (aged 17 or over on the competition entry date).
- Plants: A plant (tree, shrub, or flower) either singly or in a group of the same plant, or a close-up taken at Ness Botanic Garden
- Landscape: A landscape photograph taken at Ness Botanic Garden
- Wild-Ness: Animals, insects, birds, or fungi taken at Ness Botanic Garden
- Macro: Highlight the hidden world of plants through close-up photography of their flowers, stems or leaves.
- Outdoor Spaces: An image taken in your back garden, local park, or any favourite outdoor spaces from beaches to woodlands. The image can be a landscape, plants, or wildlife.
Up to five photographs may be submitted per entrant.
2.2 Young photographer’s categories
- 10 years old and under.
- Photographers between the ages of 10 and 16.
A maximum of five photographs may be submitted per entrant. These can be taken at Ness, or any outdoor space depicting something plant, landscape or wildlife-related.
2.3 Social Media category (photographers of all ages).
- Entries to the Social Media category must be submitted via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram by using the hashtag #NBGphotocomp
- The image must be taken at NBG and can be related to any of the categories - Plants, Gardens, Wildlife and Marco.
- Every two months, a shortlist will be selected by the competition judges and posted across all three accounts for a public vote to select a winner.
- The category will run from March to December 2021.
- Each draw will open at midday on the first day of the first month and close at 23.00 on the last day of the second month.
- Entrants are limited to five images every two months and images cannot be resubmitted.
- Only one picture per entrant can be selected for public voting.
- Images are permitted to have watermarks, but the entrant will be required to provide non-watermarked high-res version if they are the vote winner.
- Each vote winner will form part of the category shortlist.
- Entrants cannot enter the images submitted to the Social Media category into other categories but can enter different images as they wish..
- Entries to the Social Media category do not affect the submissions limit for other categories.
- Any images shared on social media platforms using #NBGphotocomp are subject to these Rules. Images which do not adhere to the rules may be disqualified from the competition.
3) Conditions of entry (applicable to all categories)
- Photos must be the original work of the entrant and taken during the previous 24 months.
- Images that have won or been, commended or received notable publicity in any major competition before the submission deadline or judging will be disqualified at the judges’ discretion.
- It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure that all necessary permissions are obtained from any person featured in a photograph.
- NBG requires that prior permission is sought before submitting photographs of private property or private gardens.
- Entrants are required to photograph Ness Botanic Garden in a way that is both creative and honest. Images entered must not attempt to deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality of the Garden.
- Entrants must not do anything to injure or distress any animals, destroy their habitat, or damage plants to secure an image.
- Digital images will be accepted from any type of film, digital cameras or phone.
4) Submissions (excluding the social media category)
- All entries must be submitted digitally through the Photography Competition section of the Ness Botanic Gardens website.
- Entrants are permitted to enter 5 images to the competition via the website.
- A high-resolution image, at 300dpi, suitable for printing in all media will be requested if entries are shortlisted and entrants may be disqualified at the judge’s discretion if high resolution images are not provided when requested.
- Images must be submitted by 23.55 Friday 31 December 2021.
- Images must not include watermarks, borders, or signatures.
- Black and white images are eligible for all categories.
- No single image may be entered into more than one category.
- Ness Botanic Garden accepts no responsibility or liability for lost or damaged entries.
5) Copyright and usage (applicable to all categories)
- Entrants retain the copyright holder to any images submitted by themselves.
- Awarded and shortlisted entrants agree to grant NBG, its partners and sponsors the right to reproduce, enlarge, publish, and exhibit for any purpose related to the competition in any medium, including print and digital. For this purpose, NBG claims the right to edit or use images in combination with others.
- The entrants agree to NBG free usage sublicensing the shortlisted images for press articles or any other external communications related to the competition.
- After the winners have been announced entries will be deleted or destroyed, apart from those that have been shortlisted.
- NBG will try to ensure the photographers will be credited on all mediums, but in the event of inadvertent omission of the credit, the photographer agrees that the Ness Botanic Gardens are not liable.
- The entrant is responsible for any claim made by a third party against the submission.
- All entrants agree that, if their entry is awarded or shortlisted, they will participate in related publicity and agree to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion, and publicity of the Competition and/or the Competition exhibitions without additional compensation.
6) Judging and Prizes
- Entrants with shortlisted images only will be notified.
- The winners will be chosen by judges appointed by Ness Botanic Garden
- The judges reserve the right not to choose a winner if, in their opinion, none of the entries meets the required standard.
- If there is any doubt that the conditions of entry have been beached, the judges will decide whether a photograph should be withdrawn. The judges' decision is final.
- The overall winners ‘Photographer of the Year 2021’ will be chosen from the five adult category winners and the social media category and ‘Young Photographer of the Year 2021’ from the young photographer’s categories.
- The winner of each image category will be chosen from the shortlisted entries.
- The list of prizes is available on the Ness Botanic Garden website. They are non-transferable. NBG reserve the right to substitute the whole or part of any listed prize with an alternative of similar price or specification. Please note that the prizes must be claimed within one year of the award ceremony or will be forfeited (including any right to receive any substitute prize).