There are 8 different categories in the competition, designed to have a broad appeal and cover different gardening-related topics.
1. Social Media
Photographers of all ages can post their pictures via Ness' Twitter, Instagram or Facebook accounts, using the hashtag #NBGphotocomp. The image must be taken at Ness and can include the gardens, wildlife or plants. Each seasonal (Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn) winner will be selected and then fed into the competition judging.
Young Photographer Categories
2. 11-16 years: A maximum of three photos taken at Ness & free to enter, can be entered depicting something plant, garden or wildlife-related that interests you. The image does not have to be taken at Ness.
3. 10 & under: A maximum of three photos taken at Ness & free to enter, can be entered depicting something plant, garden or wildlife-related that interests you. The image does not have to be taken at Ness.
Entrants are restricted to a maximum of 3 entries. Participation in the competition is free, we only need your submissions, visit How to Enter for details on how to submit your photos.
4. Plants: Celebrate the plants at Ness and take a photograph of a plant (tree, shrub or flower) either singly, in a group of the same plant, or in a mixed group of plants. Images must be taken at Ness.
5. Landscape: let your imagination flourish during any season and enter a picture taken at Ness of your favourite view, part of Ness or people enjoying the gardens
6. Wilder-Ness: in a world where natural habitats are being depleted, gardens are a haven for wildlife. Ness is home to more than 800 species of animals, insects, birds and fungi. Try and capture an image of the wildlife at Ness
7. Macro: An abstract view of plants, wildlife or landscapes at Ness. Let your creativity run wild and create a unique piece of photographic art that may not be a literal view of the subject itself
8. Outdoor Spaces: An image taken in your back garden, local park or any favourite outdoor spaces from beaches to woodlands. The image can be a landscape, plants or wildlife. The image does not have to be taken at Ness.
The closing date for the receipt of entries is 4pm Friday 18 December 2021.
Prizes will be awarded to each category winner and to the overall winner. Category prizes will be a membership to Ness Botanic Gardens – or for Members, a 12 month extension to your current Membership. The overall winner will also receive a Ness Botanic Gardens hamper.