Categories & prizes
There are 8 different categories in the competition, designed to have a broad appeal and cover different gardening-related topics.
1. Social Media
Photographers of all ages can post their pictures via Ness' Twitter, Instagram or Facebook accounts, using the hashtag #NBGphotocomp. The image must be taken at Ness and can can be related to any of the categories - Plants, Gardens, Wildlife and Marco. The category will run from March to December 2021 and a maxium of 5 photos may be submitted every two months.
Young Photographer Categories
2. 11-16 years: A maximum of five photos taken at Ness & free to enter, can be entered depicting something plant, garden or wildlife-related that interests you. The image does not have to be taken at Ness.
3. 10 & under: A maximum of five photos taken at Ness & free to enter, can be entered depicting something plant, garden or wildlife-related that interests you. The image does not have to be taken at Ness.
Entrants are restricted to a maximum of 5 entries. Participation in the competition is free.
4. Plants: Celebrate the plants at Ness and take a photograph of a plant (tree, shrub or flower) either singly, in a group of the same plant, or in a mixed group of plants. Images must be taken at Ness.
5. Landscape: let your imagination flourish during any season and enter a picture taken at Ness of your favourite view, part of Ness or people enjoying the gardens
6. Wilder-Ness: in a world where natural habitats are being depleted, gardens are a haven for wildlife. Ness is home to more than 800 species of animals, insects, birds and fungi. Try and capture an image of the wildlife at Ness
7. Macro: An abstract view of plants, wildlife or landscapes at Ness. Let your creativity run wild and create a unique piece of photographic art that may not be a literal view of the subject itself
8. Outdoor Spaces: An image taken in your back garden, local park or any favourite outdoor spaces from beaches to woodlands. The image can be a landscape, plants or wildlife. The image does not have to be taken at Ness.
The closing date for the receipt of all entries is 23.55 Friday 31 December 2021.
Prizes will be awarded to each category winner and to the overall winner of the Adult competition and the Young Photographer competition . Category prizes will be a membership to Ness Botanic Gardens – or for Members, a 12 month extension to your current Membership. The overall winners will also receive a Ness Botanic Gardens hamper.