Music MPhil/PhD

Major code: MUMR/MUPR


Fees cover the cost of your tuition, registration, examinations (but not re-sits) and graduation. Please note that the fees displayed below are for each year of study.

Tuition fees (Home/EU)

The University's tuition fees are normally fixed at yearly intervals and follow Government guidelines on minimum levels. 

Standard full-time postgraduate fee £3,732
Fee for this subject Full-time: £4,260 (2018)

International Students

International students are required to pay the full costs of their tuition in the UK with each university setting its own international fees. The University of Liverpool's fees represent excellent value for money for a Russell Group University.  Fees for postgraduate research programmes are different than for masters programmes and a full list of fees is available on International money and scholarships pages

Fee for this subject Full-time: £16,150 Part-time: £8,075 (2018) (excluding bench fees)

Financial Support

We encourage all postgraduate students to apply for external funding and we are happy to proffer advice on this. Information on sources of funding may also be obtained by visiting the University web pages ( Please note that application deadlines apply to scholarships.


Prospective full-time home and EU students may compete for a small number of available scholarships including the John Lennon Memorial Scholarships and the Liverpool Alumni Scholarships.

UK and EU students

AHRC funding is sometimes available; the deadline is normally March of the year before study begins. Enquiries should be directed to the School Postgraduate Secretary.

International students

The University of Liverpool administers and participates in many scholarship schemes for international students. The majority of the scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit rather than hardship and students must normally hold an offer of a place on a course before applying (

Postgraduate student awards

A range of awards, scholarships and bursaries are available for those undertaking postgraduate study at the University. See for more information.