Originally from Iceland, I came to the UK in 1985 and studied for both my BA Honours Degree and PhD at King's College, London. My first academic appointment was at Trinity College, Dublin and I came to the University of Liverpool in July 1995. My main research interests are the Representation of Non-Western Cultures in Latin American Literature and Native Religion, Politics and Identity in the Andes, on both of which I have published quite extensively, including two books. I have undertaken extensive fieldwork in Latin America, in particular in El Salvador and Bolivia, the two countries on which most of my research has been focused so far.
- ‘El poder se disemina: mito, memoria, voz, ritual y otras resistencias’ (Invitation to Speak, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona 2011)
- ‘Traducir la cultura: Reflexiones sobre la obra y el bilingüismo de Humberto Ak’abal’ (Invitation to Speak, Birkbeck College, London 2011)
- ‘Un mundo sonoro: naturaleza, cultura y resistencia en la poesía maya’ (Keynote Speech, Universidad de Alicante 2011)
- ‘La obra de Humberto Ak’abal en inglés: relevancia y recepción’ (Invitation to Speak, Universidad Católica de Milán 2011)
- ‘¿Quién está legitimado para ser la voz de los pueblos indígenas latinoamericanos? Algunas reflexion (Invitation to Speak, RedISCA (Red Europea de Investigaciones sobre Centroamérica) 2010)
- ‘Violencia, corrupción y género literario en La tía Sofi y los otros Cuentos de Waldina Mejía’ (Invitation to Speak, Instituto Internacional de Literatura Iberoamericana (IILI) 2010)
- ‘The Reconstruction and Dignification of Memory and Language for the Cultural Recognition of the Ind (Invitation to Speak, The Institute Vigdis Finnbogadottir of Foreign Languages at the University of Iceland 2010)
- ‘Cultural Memory and Resistance in Latin American Narratives’ (Invitation to Speak, The organisers of the conference 2008)
- Native Myth in Latin American Literature (Invitation to Speak, The Institute Vigdis Finnbogadottir of Foreign Languages at the University of Iceland 2007)
- Mito, paisaje y modernidad en la literatura Latinoamericana (Keynote Speech, Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona 2006)
- Indios y mestizos en la literatura latinoamericana (University of Salamanca, Spain 2005)
- Making Sense: Representations of Cultural Diversity in Latin America (Invitation to Speak, The Institute Vigdis Finnbogadottir, Foreign Languages at the University of Iceland 2005)
- Evolución temática y formal en la poesía de Manlio Argueta (1956-2004) (Invitation to Speak, Congress organisers 2005)
- ILAS 1995-2006 2000-06 Year Abroad in Latin America. 2005-07 Coordinator of ILAS Research Seminars. 2005-06 Programme Director, Latin American and Hispanic Studies. Hispanic Studies/School of Modern Languages 1995-2006 1995-01 Member of the HS Staff-Student Committee. 1995-06 Year Abroad in Latin America. 1997-06 Liaison with the Merseyside Association of Teachers of Spanish.
- 1999-01 Member of the SML Learning and Teaching Sub-Committee. 2004-06 Member of the SML Learning and Teaching Sub-Committee. 2005-06 Member of the SML and ILAS joint Curriculum Review Sub-Committee. 2001-04 Member of the SML Academic Practices Sub-Committee. 2001-03 Member of SML Staff-Student Committee. 2004-06 Programme Director, Hispanic Studies and English.
- (SO)CLAS 2006- 2006-13 Year Abroad in Latin America. 2006-13 Year Abroad Sub-Committee. 2006- Admissions Sub-Committee. 2006-07 Member of the Learning and Teaching Sub-Committee. 2007-09 Member of Academic Standards Sub-Committee. Chair from Semester 2, 2008-. 2006-13 Programme Director, Latin American and Hispanic Studies. 2013- CLAS PGT Lead.
- 2013- Director of the MA in Modern Languages. Bulletin of Hispanic Studies 2006- Assistant Editor 2008 Book Review Editor
- Faculty of Arts 1999-00 Member of the HGS Research Skills Course Steering Group. 1999-00 Member of the Faculty’s Learning and Teaching Sub-Committee. 2000-01 Member of the HGS Management Committee. 2000-01 Member of the Faculty’s Research and Postgraduate Sub-Committee. 2000-03 Member of the Faculty’s Academic Practices Sub-Committee. 2004-06 Member of the Faculty’s Learning and Teaching Sub-Committee. 2005-06 Member of two groups involved in the organisation of IFY and Study Abroad Programme. 2008- Member of the Faculty’s Academic Practices Sub-Committee.