Dan is committed to public engagement outside of the academy and works closely with sport and the general public.
One aspect of this, is The Football Collective, a global platform for football scholars (founded in Jan 2016). The Football Collective aims to bring football researchers together to share, collaborate on and enhance the impact of the research in the field. Since launching, The Football Collective has developed from a network of 10 founder members to a worldwide network in excess of 450 members and it has hosted five major conferences (Manchester, 2016; Limerick, 2017, Glasgow, 2018; Sheffield, 2019), this years conference was held online: Football in Lockdown: Power in Unity (2020). Dan was Chair between 2016-2020 and is an active member of the management committee for Strategy and Enterprise.
Alongside this, Dan is CEO of the Association of Sporting Directors that provides support for leaders in the professional football industry and he is a member of the Advisory Group for the Sports Think Tank. Further, Dan is a Trustee of two charities. The Staftesbury Youth Club, a local grassroots club he represented as a player and where he currently coaches and SLQ - Sport Leaders UK, one of largest national charities providing education and qualifications for children and young people.
On top of this, Dan maintains extensive links with researchers from around the world and with industry. He regularly engages in unique engagement and knowledge exchange events, for example, national think tanks with 57 football clubs, the PSA Sport and Politics Study Group Conference, the International Public Engagement and Performance conference, through to ESRC funded public engagement events.
Dan regularly contributes expert commentary in the media, alongside writing online applied analysis articles.
- European Journal for Sport and Society (Scientific Board, 2018 - 2020)
- Managing Sport and Leisure (Co-Editor in Chief, 2019 - present)
- Managing Sport and Leisure (Associate Editor, 2017 - 2019)
- Journal of Sport for Development (Editorial Board Member, 2017 - 2020)
- Journal of Global Sport Management (Editorial Board Member, 2016 - present)
- International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics (Guest Editor, 2016 - 2018)
- European Sport Management Quarterly (Guest Editor, 2015 - 2017)
- Sport in Society: Cultures, Commerce, Media, Politics (Editorial Board Member, 2015 - present)
- EDUCACIÓN FÍSICA Y DEPORTE (Editorial Board Member, 2015 - present)
- Soccer and Society (Editorial Board Member, 2013 - present)
- Deakin University (PhD, - 2019)
- Manchester Metropolitan University, Chair PhD (2018)
- Sheffield Hallam University, PhD (2017)
Professional Body Memberships
- The Football Collective (Chair and Founder, 2016 - present)
- Asia and the Pacific Policy Society (Member, 2016 - present)
- Political Studies Association, Sport Politics Study Group (Member, 2015 - present)
- Higher Education Association (Fellow, 2013 - present)
- European Association of Sport Management (Member, 2008 - present)