Dan’s research interests lie in business management, policy, and social and economic networks in sport. Dan serves as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the journal Managing Sport and Leisure, alongside a number of other editorial positions. Dan is the co-founder of The Football Collective, a global network of football scholars, he was Chair between 2016-2020 and is an active member of the management committee.
Dan has published research articles on subjects ranging from corporate social responsibility in sport, through to the impact of the economic downturn on sport. He has also edited a number of books and special issues. On top of this, he is a co-editor of the Routledge Book series "Critical Research in Football", and recently co-edited the Routledge Handbook of Football Business and Management.
Dan has consulted with, amongst others, the English Premier League, the Football Foundation (UKs largest sports charity), The English FA, the British Council and the Colombian Government. He is the CEO of the Association of Sporting Directors, sits on the Advisory Group of The Sports Think Tank and its Trustee for both SLQ Sport Leaders UK and the Shaftesbury Youth Club.
Dan also teaches on a number modules within the MSc in Sport Business and Management, the Football Industries MBA (FIMBA) and delivers executive education with the League Managers Association.
Prizes or Honours
- Best Monograph Award (runner-up): Football as Medicine: Prescribing Football for Global Health Promotion (Routledge (Taylor and Francis), 2020)
- Shortlisted for the ECSS Young Investigator Award (Liverpool, England) (European College of Sport Science, 2011)
- Highly Commendable Project Market Place Exhibitor (European College of Sport Science (ECSS), 2011)
- Shortlisted for the New Researcher Award (Prague, Czech Republic) (European Association of Sport Management, 2010)
- Shortlisted for the New Researcher Award (Heidelberg, Germany) (European Association Sport Management, 2008)