Postgraduate Award in Science and Technology Leadership
This programme has been accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM).
The Postgraduate Award in Science and Technology Leadership draws on the uniquely combined knowledge of the University of Liverpool and National Nuclear Laboratory. This provides unparalleled and critical science and technology education, proven to deliver powerful learning results.
|START DATE:||September 2020|
|DURATION:||9-24 months (part-time)|
University of Liverpool alumni are entitled to a 10% discount on this programme.
The programme has been designed to enable existing and aspiring junior and mid-level career scientists and engineers within government research laboratories or large private sector science and technology research and development divisions to create organisational and personal impacts. It will use small group teaching, in leadership and ethics, technical committees, intellectual integrity, advanced report writing and continued applied learning.
The Award in Science and Technology Leadership is a 35 credit programme consisting of four 5-credit modules plus a 15-credit embedded assignment performed within the delegate’s organisation. The modular structure of the programme allows for delegates to complete the programme at a pace to suit their own needs and commitments within a period of 9 to 24 months.
Throughout the programme, delegates will undertake a sequenced timetable of lectures, seminars, interactive tasks and discussions including one day intensive workshops at the Liverpool in London Campus, supported by online materials and guided reading before reflecting on the same.
The aims of this course are to:
- Introduce the principles and practice of leadership
- Explore what it means to be an ethical leader
- Examine effective techniques for presenting the outcomes of technical investigations and projects for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Explore and discuss issues associated with producing high-quality and well-regarded technical work that leads to a recognised reputation.
Why the Award in Science and Technology Leadership Programme?
Key benefits for delegates include:
- Ability to evaluate and self-regulate your own managerial and leadership potential
- Knowledge of how to use an enquiry led evidence based approach to develop your leadership and management capability
- Capacity to exercise leadership, responsibility and initiative in complex and unpredictable situations
- New insights and issues in your area of professional practice
- Experience of applying critical and creative thinking to develop, implement and evaluate appropriate solutions to complex technical problems
- Heightened professional image distinguishing yourself from your professional peers.
Key benefits for organisations include:
- A more responsive and proactive technical approach to solving customer problems
- Improved understanding of the issues of importance to your customers through excellent technical dialogue
- Well-articulated technical solutions your customer will understand
- A more empowered workforce who aspire to best practice technical performance and maintain a high performance culture
- Senior leaders and managers who make informed evidence based decisions and have the ability to think and act strategically
- Enhanced reputation for professionalism and innovation.
The Postgraduate Award in Science and Technology Leadership has been accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) and through completing the programme you will also receive the ILM Level 7 Award in Leadership and Management.
ILM level 7 qualifications are designed for senior managers and leaders seeking to develop themselves as leaders and managers, who recognise they must satisfy various stakeholders and who want to invest in their own personal brand. They are looking to make the best use of resources, understand the need to innovate and optimise performance. They may also have to present arguments for change, construct business cases, lead change implementation and evaluate the impact of that change.
Read more about the ILM Level 7 Leadership and Management qualification here.