Information for International Students

International Students: Presenting your Original Academic Documents and Passports and Visas

The University requires all applicants to provide original academic documents which verify their successfully completed qualifications. We are directed by the Home Office to do this. If you have not previously shown original documents to the University, the documents you need to provide are:

  • academic transcript(s) which include your final grade,
  • degree certificate (and translations of these documents if applicable),
  • evidence of English Language.

The University is required by law to check, verify and retain copies of all international students’ (i.e. those who require a visa to study in the UK) passports and visas. Further information about when and where you can present your documents can be found in the Welcome Week schedule and you will be given information at your welcome meeting.

You must remember to bring with you certificates for all qualifications listed on your CAS when you travel to the UK as they will be checked by staff as part of Welcome Week and therefore you must attend.

Pre-Sessional English Students 

If you have not applied for your visa by the start of your course, you will need to let the Student Experience Team officers know so they can advise you accordingly.

 If you have applied for your visa, please make sure you bring the following documents:

  • Copy of Your Visa Application
  • Proof of Postage
  • Any Home Office Correspondence 


Collection of Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Card 

Regardless of the country you are applying from outside the UK, if your entry clearance application is successful, you will be given entry clearance which is valid for 30 days. This will allow you to enter the UK. You must then collect your BRP card from the Post Office branch stated on your decision letter, no later than 10 days after your arrival in the UK.

When you attend the Post Office branch to collect your BRP, you must bring with you the passport or travel document which contains your 30 day visa. You should also bring your decision letter with you if possible as it will help the Post Office staff to locate your BRP quickly. If you do not bring your passport or travel document you will not be able to collect your BRP. Details of Post Office locations offering the service and their opening times can be found at:

Make sure you collect your BRP card as soon as you have arrived in the UK as you will need to produce this at your academic registration. You will not be able to register onto your course without this document


Registration with the Police

Some International Students will be required, as part of the conditions of their visa, to register with the Police. You MUST do this if your visa states so, as failure to do so is a criminal offence.

If you applied for your visa outside the UK, you must register with the police within 7 days of collection of your BRP card.

If you applied for your visa inside the UK, you must register with the police within 7 days of receipt of your BRP card.  

Students studying in London must register at the following address:

The Overseas Visitor Records Office (OVRO)
323 Borough High Street,
London SE1 1JL

The nearest tube station is Borough on the Northern Line and the OVRO is also well serviced with good bus links including the 21, 133, 40 and 35. Please note that during September and the start of the academic year, the OVRO can be extremely busy and queues are likely. As a result it is highly likely that if you do go and register you will be allocated an appointment for a later date. You will need to present proof of your appointment at registration 

We, however, advise that you check the Metropolitan Police website for opening hours and further information before you visit.


Opening a UK Bank Account

For many international students, accessing money from an overseas bank account when in the UK can be expensive and problematic. It is therefore advisable that international students open a UK Bank Account whilst they are studying in the UK in order to access money quickly and safely.

In order to open a bank account, you need official documentation to prove your identity and a letter of introduction from the University. Once fully registered with the University of Liverpool in London, you may request this letter from the Student Experience Team.