Senior Lecturer in Law, in particular Intellectual Property Law, University of Liverpool.
Assistant Professor, Institute for Information Law (IViR), University of Amsterdam (2004-present).
Visiting professor at the University of Liege.
Guest Lecturer at CEIPI, University of Strasbourg
Until 2010 he was also acting professorial lecturer at the WIPO Intellectual Property Law Course in Turin (Italy).
He is currently also Chair of the European Commission Expert Group on the development and implications of patent law in the field of biotechnology and genetic engineering. European Commission Expert Group.
He was member of a Scientific Advisory Committee at the Dutch Royal Academy of Sciences (Gene Patents Committee), was also member of and rapporteur at the Expert Group of the European Commission (DG Internal Market and DG Research) for the evaluation of Directive 98/44/EC relating to the legal protection of biotechnological inventions.
He has many years of experience in private practice, formerly Legal Counsel in a patent attorney firm in Belgium (2004-2010);
He started his academic career as an Assistant Professor in Law at Maastricht University, The Netherlands (1996-2003).
One of the most important experts in patent law in Europe, with more than 60 single authored scientific publications in the area of patent law.
He specialises in intellectual property law relating to novel technologies, with major emphasis on life sciences (biotech and pharmaceuticals), medical devices, software and Artifical Intelligence related inventions. His research puts new technological developments in the context of the present statutory and case law framework and analyses the extent to which that framework is still effective, efficient and desirable, not only from a legal perspective, but also from an economic and societal perspective.
- Expert at European Commission (European Commission 2010)
- Acting Professorial Lecturer (Competitive Fellowship, University of Turin and WIPO 2010)
- Member Expert Committee Patent Law (Begian Royal Academy of Sciences 2006)
- Ad Hoc Expert Patent Law (Belgian Federal Parliament, Committee on Globalization and Economic Policy 2005)
- Member Expert Committee on how to raise level of Sceintific research funding in Belgium (Ministry of Science Policy 2004)
- Member Expert Committee Gene Patenting (Netherlands Royal Academy of Sciences 2002)
- Ad Hoc external expert at the Discussion Forum on Medical Biotechnology (Ministry of Health and Parliament The Netherlands 2001)
- Director of European Programmes, Partnerships and Recruitment