Dr Christine Schwöbel is Senior Lecturer in Law and Director of the Critical Approaches to International Criminal Law (CAICL) Research Cluster. She previously held positions at Leiden University and Kings' College London. She is a Visiting Researcher at Goldsmiths, University of London.
Christine researches on questions of international law with a special interest in international criminal law, global constitutionalism, the public/private dichotomy and critical pedagogy. At present, she is working on a book manuscript titled 'Marketing Global Justice', a critique of the marketisation of global justice projects from the perspective of political economy and aesthetics.
Christine obtained her legal education in Heidelberg, Germany (Staatsexamen, 2005), at City University, London (LLM with specialisation in Human Rights, 2006), King’s College London (PhD, 2009, supervisor: Professor Susan Marks), and BPP law school (GDL, 2010).
Christine was awarded the University of Liverpool's Outstanding Early Career Researcher Award in 2014. She was Visiting Fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge, in 2013 and 2014. In 2013, Christine was part of the Junior Faculty of Harvard Law School's Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP). In 2012, she initiated a research network dedicated to Critical Approaches to International Criminal Law (CAICL). In 2009, Christine was awarded with the King's Excellence in Teaching prize. Christine gained some practical experience of the International Criminal Court in 2007, when she interned for the Registry Office.
She is on the editorial review board of the Queen Mary Human Rights Law Review and has previously served on the editorial board of the Leiden Journal of International Law.
Christine is happy to supervise postgraduate projects in international law, international criminal law, international human rights law, international humanitarian law, Third World Approaches to International Law, and international legal theory. Media enquiries are welcome.
- Keynote Speaker (Keynote Speech, Dialogperspektiven: Religionen und Weltaschauungen in Gespräch 2016)
- University of Liverpool Oustanding Early Career Researcher 2014 (University of Liverpool 2014)
- Keynote Speaker (Keynote Speech, Science Po, Paris 2014)
- (Returning) Visiting Fellowship (Competitive Fellowship, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge 2014)
- Docent for the Institute of Global Law and Policy (Harvard Law School 2013)
- Visiting Fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law (Competitive Fellowship, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge 2013)
- Collaborative Research Fund awarded by Institute of Global Law and Policy (IGLP), Harvard Law School (IGLP 2012)
- King's Excellence in Teaching Prize (Prize, King's College London 2009)
- Christine is Assessments Coordinator for the School of Law and sits on the Ethics Committee of the School of Law and Social Justice