Past Events Archive
Previous events hosted by CAICL
- On 29 April 2016, the events were closed by a public lecture and keynote by Wayne Jordash, QC. The title of the lecture was 'International Trials and the Justice-Victim Dichotomy. A View from Practice’.
- On 28 April 2016, there was a film screening of the documentary Peace v Justice followed by a Q&A with director Klaartje Quirijns.
- From 28-29 April 2016, we held a workshop on the theme 'Justice Matters. The Aesthetics and Counter-Aesthetics of International Law'. The workshop brought together academics, artists, journalists and practitioners. For the workshop programme and an overview of the projects, visit the website https://lawaesthetics.org/
- From 25-29 April 2016, the photography part of the 'Justice Matters' exhibition was set up in the foyer of the Eleanor Rathbone Building of the University of Liverpool. The exhibition is part of the International Criminal Court’s traveling exhibition entitled ‘Justice Matters’, which, according to the ICC explores ‘how justice matters to the individuals and communities affected by crimes under the Court’s jurisdiction, and how justice matters in the world.’ The CAICL research unit aimed to provoke a critical view of the exhibition. Questions included: ‘Is a particular racialized view of victims and victimhood produced and reproduced in the exhibition?’, ‘In how far does the story portrayed through the photographs play into a savages-victims-saviours narrative?’, ‘What interest might the ICC have in reproducing these stereotypes?’ ‘If we assume that speaking about victimhood is important, are there alternative ways of portraying suffering?’
- From 25-29 April 2016, the CAICL research unit organised a series of events around a research project entitled ‘Justice Matters: The Aesthetics and Counter-Aesthetics of International Law’.
- 23 February 2016 4.30pm-6.30pm: Film Screening of 'The Act of Killing' with discussion. Rendall Building, Seminar Room 10
- 1 March 2016 4.30pm-6.30pm: Work in progress presentation of visiting researcher Sofia Stolk. Rendall Building, Seminar Room 10
- 23 April 2015: CAICL External Speaker Presentation by Sarah Nouwen on Complementarity in the Line of Fire. The Catalysing Effect of the International Criminal Court in Uganda and Sudan. Sarah is lecturer at the University of Cambridge and Fellow of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law as well as Fellow of Pembroke College.
- 26 March 2015: Work in Progress Presentation by CAICL cluster visiting researcher Emanuela Piccolo on The International Criminal Court and the Reconfiguration of State Sovereignty. Emanuela is a PhD candidate at the Department of Political and Economic Studies, University of Helsinki.
- 12 March 2015: Film Screening of 'War Don Don' with subsequent discussion.
- 26 February 2015: Work in Progress Presentation by Balraj Sidhu on Crimes against the Environment: Legal and Institutional Challenges. Balraj was a visiting scholar at the University of Liverpool from the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. She heads up the Centre for Advanced Study on Courts and Tribunals in Amritsar.
- 2 December 2014: Work in Progress Workshop of all CAICL cluster members.
- 27 November 2014: Film Screening of the film 'Prosecutor' with subsequent discussion.
- 20 November 2014: CAICL External Speaker Presentation by Tor Krever on Dispensing Global Justice. Tor is a PhD candidate at the LSE.
- 6-8 December 2012: Inaugural CAICL Conference in Liverpool, UK - aimed at launching and gaining exposure for our activities, including consideration of specific vehicles, such as teaching; formulation of thematic groups from papers prepared for the conference, for the purposes of an envisaged publication/s. Convened by Christine Schwöbel.
- 4-14 January 2013: Harvard Law School's Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP) Workshop, Doha, Qatar -Consideration and discussion of the relationship between our agenda and the Streams on offer at the Workshop (partly to facilitate a CAICL Stream the following year). CAICL Docents and Participants: Michelle Burgis-Kasthala, Tor Krever, Heidi Matthews, Christine Schwöbel. Find out more.
- Law’s counter-archive: Narrative, Memory, Testimony, Birkbeck Institute for the Humanities, UK - Including a talk by CAICL member Jill Staufer titled ‘Ibam forte via Sacra: Irony, Knowledge, Power and Testimony’.
- 22-23 March 2013: Law, Culture and Humanities Annual Conference, Birkbeck, UK – Roundtable discussion titled ‘Global Humanity and International Criminal Law’, chaired by Peter Fitzpatrick. Convened by Sara Kendall.
- 3 - 4 June 2013: IGLP Conference, Harvard, US - The IGLP, sponsors of the CAICL collaborative research grant, are organising a conference titled ‘New Directions in Global Thought: IGLP at Five, which will include a CAICL panel, convened by Tor Krever. Find out more.