A banner for family law

Family Law Advice at Liverpool Law Clinic

We provide a free and confidential advice service in relation to child arrangements ( we do not advise on divorce or financial matters).

Our team of qualified solicitors can advise you about family law problems involving children. They are assisted by trained and supervised law students. The service is offered for free to those who cannot afford to pay a solicitor privately elsewhere. 

We are not currently taking on any new clients until week commencing 19th September.


Family Advice and Support Appointments

We offer appointments to advice on court procedure, alternatives to court and strengths and weaknesses of your case. Following advice appointments we may be able to offer support in form filling and statement writing depending on capacity.

In order to arrange an appointment please complete the online form here which explains our appointment procedures and timescales.


Family Law Legal Advice Service for LGBTQ+ Families

Liverpool Law Clinic gives free confidential legal advice and support about:

  • Planning a baby 
  • Managing legal agreements after birth 
  • Child arrangements 

Appointments are available in person at the Law Clinic* or vitually via a Zoom or Teams video call. Please contact the Law Clinic by calling 0151 794 5782 or by emailing clinic@liverpool.ac.uk


Liverpool Family Court

Our family law team also provide free and confidential legal advice and support at the First Hearing Dispute Resolution Appointments (FHDRA) in child arrangement cases.  The service is run by solicitors and volunteer law students from the University of Liverpool with appointments taking place in advance of your hearing.


Alternative Free legal Advice Service in Liverpool

You may want to try contacting Temple Legal or LJMU Legal Advice Centre.  Both of these organisations are based in Liverpool offer free legal advice on family law issues.  



Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse you can contact the National Domestic Abuse Abuse Helpline for assistance https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/en

If you need legal help with an application for a non-molestation order you may be eligible for legal aid.  You can contact FLOWS or the National Domestic Violence Centre for help.



Legal Aid

If you are in receipt of welfare benefits or working on a low income, you may be eligible for legal aid to assist with the cost of mediation.

Legal aid is available for court proceedings regarding children if you are a victim of domestic abuse or your children are at risk of harm.  You can find out more about how to apply for legal aid on the government website. https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid


If you are trying to reach an agreement with your ex-partner, or if you need to get a mediation certificate before starting court proceedings, you can find a local family mediator through the Family Mediation Council. https://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk/

Support at Court

If you have a court hearing coming up and you do not have a lawyer, you can contact Support Through Court.  They are a charity that help people through court proceedings.  They are not lawyers so cannot give you advice on your case, but they can attend hearings to take notes and can help you with court forms. https://www.supportthroughcourt.org/

Useful websites

You can find helpful guides to family law on the Advice Now and Child Law Advice websites



Information about the Family Advice Service 

Please read these leaflets for information about the service we offer and how we will manage your data:

Family Law Advice Service - Client Care Leaflet (pdf)

Family Law Advice Service - Privacy Notice (pdf)

Back to: Liverpool Law School